Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
food plant question
Last Post 18 Sep 2007 11:41 PM by Shawn. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bowhuntinmaniac8
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Sep 2007 02:04 AM  

Usually when we plant our patches, we just buy individual bags of wheat, oats, turnips, and a few peas(early bowseason)...my question is this, what is rape and can you usually get it at a local co-op. I see more and more people planting rape and I've been thinking about either replacing the turnips with it or just adding it to the mixture. Anyone got any advice?

ShawnibalLecter
Forum Administrator
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Sep 2007 11:41 PM  
Actually I believe Rape and Turnips are in the same genus (Brassica)

The biggest thing to know about either of these plants is to rotate the planting every two years. For example, if you planted them last year and this year, do not plant them next year. These species are known to have a fungus associated with them and if the fungus invades the soil then other plants will suffer.

I plant them one year and wait two before I plant them again. If the fungus gets set in, it'll cost you big time to get rid of it and then you may not get to plant for several months or more.

Good hunting

Shawnibal Lecter.
If you ever hope to be a credible adult and want a job that pays better than minimum wage, then for God's sake don't pierce or tattoo every available piece of flesh. If so, then plan your future around saying... "Would you like fries with that?"
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!