Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
rage broadheads
Last Post 01 Aug 2011 02:44 PM by pinetree. 48 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 << < 123
Author Messages
Matt
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Apr 2010 07:52 PM  
i have nothing but good things to say about the rage i use the 2 blade and the leave a awsome blood trail
fjmac
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Oct 2010 01:52 AM  
its not the broad head its the shot,stop blaming the broad head
buckhavoc1
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Oct 2010 02:36 PM  
I totally agree. You can find many things wrong with the broadheads of any kind. I shot muzzy's for the longest time, a friend of mine shot zewicky's, and i before going to rages shot steelforces. The RAGE broadhead that my son and I use has only failed once... And it was clearly a bad shot from me. My son shot a nice 8 pt buck last year and i thought after he shot it that we were going to have to get a search party after this one...i t was a terrible shot.... until both of us heard him fall. The RAGE broadhead is the real deal for us!!!
<----------------((((( Welcome to MY World! ))))---------------->
Carl
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Nov 2010 02:47 PM  
After my problems I started looking around to see if it was just me...Nope. Here is my story, Sry in advance for the wall of text.

I heard good things about the Rage Broadheads. Had a Hunting buddy using a Mathews totally DESTROY a Doe at 15yds with the 2 Blade. This year I picked up a pack of 3 Blade. I'm hunting a residential subdivision in Central TX, just outside a city limit that is overloaded with Deer. Being residential, Homeowners assoc limited Harvesting to Archery only. Not much "Hunting" more like just Harvesting. Shooting an Oneida Screaming Eagle, 70lb Draw, Easton 2317 (Arrow+Braodhead= 600gr) @ 270fps, for years I used the Muzzy 100gr with success. We "Had" 2 super nice bucks running around out here and a 1:15 Buck/Doe ratio.
2nd week of Oct I finally got a shot on a 130lb 4yr old 9Pt, approx 140ish class. Roughly 18 Wide x 16 tall that I had been watching for a couple weeks. Biggest Deer i've ever had a shot on, much lesss with a Bow, 42yds Broadside. I had just repaired some damage fletching arrows with the Bone Collector Quick Spin shrink wraps and had not shot them over 20yds. I am proficient out to 50yds with traditional fletchings, He stood there a good 10 sec broadside and gave me the shot. I leveled in him & let it fly... The arrow with traditional fletchings drop ~8" at 40yds, When I fired I could see the arrow dropping, at about the 20yd mark I heard the "Twip" as the quick spin kicked in, leveled out the arrow and hit him right behind the shoulder about 3" below the spine with a sharp "Crack". OK, I knew I hit ribs and it was high but it was a double lung shot and he plowed off into the cedars with 2/3 of the arrow hangin out on exit with no signs of slowing down. I justified it to myself that I hit ribs in & out and that was why the arrow didn't blow all way thru. I gave it an hour and fully expected to find him piled up about 70yds back... Didn't find blood for 40yds, found random droppings of bright frothy blood, confirmed lung shot... eventually found the arrow about 175yds, only 1 blade was deployed and other 2 were jammed. We Lost/found/lost/found blood trail over 1.5miles after 9hrs we accidentally stumbled into him bedded up about 100yds since last blood. He jumped up looking at us with a huge black strak down his side, ducked his head and plowed back into the brush without a care in the world. This was a new, right out of the package broadheads. I had tinkered with it, pushing on the shoulders wo see how it was supposed to work. After the recovery, a piece of bone was jammed in 1 of the blades that did not even deploy, the 2nd was 1/2 deployed and had a nick on it where it looked like it hit the 3rd when they deployed. Buck of my life and lost it, was less than impressed with the end results.
Co-workers came out that were 2-3yr Archery Hunters that haven't gotten a Bow kill yet. Female friend using a PSE with 40lb draw, carbon express arrows and the 2" Rage. She finally got a legit shot on a yearling Doe ~45lbs at 10yds, Quartering to. She was proficient on the targets and I knew she could make the shot. She made a perfect behind the shoulder shot awesome "Crack & Whoosh" (Bone & Lung), 5 of us standing there watching the hit & only 1/3 of the arrow entered. Gave it 30 minutes and started the search. We found the arrow ~50yds away with some blood and gut contents. Ewww. We continued ~75yds and almost walked into the deer standing up in a small clump of oaks. Enourmous entry hole and not bleeding... 3 of us were standing 5ft from the deer in awe... amazing entry hole with nothing coming out. Tried to tackle her to cut her throat but she ran another 50yds and layed down under the Cedar. We left her overnight and claimed the reward the next morning. After field dressing her we found a good entry, busted rib and the arrow took a hard rt turn, followed the inside of the ribcage, 1 lung, liver and gut.Recovery but less than impressive.
I was holding out for the larger Does & letting them try to harvest some younguns when I had ~100lb Doe give me a broadside at 20yds. Once again, 3 Blade Rage... Mid body entry hit at the crease behind shoulder, saw the arrow exit with an upward trajectory and she ran off. I could see the arrow hanging in the tree. I recovered the arrow with all 3 blades 1/2 deployed. Now i'm really getting concerned. Why are these broadheads not deploying?????? Needless to say, 2hr search and losing the bloodtrail about 100yds out, 3hr search never found her.
following morning, I had 1 Muzzy left. ~65lb Doe at 20yds, high double lung shot (higher than day before), She dropped and spun just as I fired. Full blow thru, 40yds later recovery. Unfortunately the broadhead hit a rock on exit and was destroyed.
I've had a 140lb, 140 class 10pt tormenting me for 2 weeks. He beds down in the tall grass 50yds out and all I can see are his Antlers sticking out of the grass. Couple times I tried to sneak up on him to get a shot and he would slink away into the heavy cedars, Every time another Buck shows up he would bust out at a full charge and run them off, any time a Doe would show up he would bust out at a full charge and they would run. 45min later, I would see the horns sticking out of the Grass. I knew the 1st rut was in full swing and he would make a mistake, I just hoped I would be ready when he did... I only had 1 arrow left... and the last of the Rage 3 Blade...
Yesterday was my Birthday, had a group of Does show up & here he comes, chased them off and lost sight of him. BUT... this time he messed up. He came back the same route, 15yds passed me. He stopped at 25yds quartering away watching some other Does trying to approach, I drew back, found the Shoulder, "Happy Birthday to Me!" FIRE... Just as I fired he started his charge, perfect elevation, way back, heard the hollow "Whump" as it hit. He hunched up and stopped about another 20yds. Buddy and I stood here watching him at 45yds facing away from us with all but the fletching hanging out the exit. With Bino's I could see the arrow covered in black Liver blood. He stood there 10 min looking back where I shot him, and trying to bite at the arrow hanging out of him just behind his shoulder. He was hunched up and finally started slowly walking back into the brush with the arrow hanging out. Fully expecting him to bed down in the heavy cedars 50yds back and die, We left him alone for 3 1/2 yrs before I couldn't stand it anymore. The spot he stood for 10 min had a 5" puddle of dark blood. We continued down the trail where we watched him go... nothing. We backed out, gave it another 2hrs and enlisted the help of 2 others to help me make my "recovery". 7hrs of searching every trail, ravine, creekbed, brushpile, known or possible bedding areas, We found one section for about 30yds where he bled good. Never found him or the Arrow.
Buddy using a Mathews, 65lb Draw, 300fps Carbons, 2 Blade Rage, stayed to hunt last night. 1 really big ~110lb Doe shows up leading her fawns. He gets a Broadside shot at 30yds, shot low, missed. She ran TOWARD us and turned looking back to see what that commotion was. He reloaded, Slight "quartering to" Broadside at 20yds looking back, CRACK, dead center in the shoulder, minimal penetration. We watched her dragging her front leg and the arrow fall out. OK, not the perfect shot, "Quartering to" Shoulder shot should get the shoulder, heart and lungs. We listened and heard her crashing in the brush on 3 occasions and it got quiet for 20min. It got dark so we needed to go find her. We found the arrow broken. 10yds later found a 3" section of the broken off tip with the Rage 2 Blade 1/2 deployed and locked in a "T" Shape.
Now that I'm out of Arrows and Broadheads... 2 Monster Bucks and a huge Doe wasted/missing... I started searching to find out if anybody else it having problems. WOW did I find people having problems. What was revered as the Greatest thing since Compound Bows... utter FAIL. I have 2 salvaged Rage 3 Blade broadheads left, Think I will use them for something that I might get full Penetration on... like a Rabbit or Squirrel.
If you made it this far and you still have Rage Broadheads, shame on you. Total waste of my $44, 2 Personal best Bucks and a Huge Doe. Never again....
BOWHUNTER missouri
8 Point
8 Point

--
19 Nov 2010 08:48 PM  
i just tryed these mechanical broadheads and liked them. shot a doe with it went threw her she went about 30 yrds from were i shot from.but i do feel your pain thow. I had a muzzy done the same thing shot a doe behind the shoulder and found some blood , but no deer. the next week shot a five pointer with the muzzy and had lots of blood and found the deer. Question was your blades sharp. cause shot a deer the year before and my blades were daw. sharpend them before i went out and shot a doe and maded a difference. i was just wondering. again sorry for your pain.
GIT-R-DONE
Carl
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Nov 2010 12:58 PM  
Yep, my buddy that bought the 2 Blade and the 3 Blade that I bought were brand new purchased back in August from Academy. Used the practice tips. I had fired 1 into my cheap Walmart foam target, it blew a nasty hole thru but the whole arrow did not fully exit. Pulled it all way out, did not observe any blade damage & still were Sharp. Reset the blades & put it back in the quiver until they were ready to use.
Cuda
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Jan 2011 05:56 PM  
I tried the rage broadheads the first year they came out, first shot was on a turkey, cut his wing completely off right before he ran out of sight, found the arrow, picked it up, one blade was gone, and the other one fell off when I picked up the arrow. 4 hours later I had a nice buck come in on me, 25 yard shot, found blood for a while, then it stopped, found 2/3 of my arrow snapped off 4 inches from the front, never found the deer. I lost two animals within 4 hours, and two brand new expensive broadheads, still have the 3rd, anybody want it....haha. I use to shoot spitfires, like those better, actually had a chance to shoot at a 5 point twice in 2 minutes, rare, but true, both shots were pass throughs, should have stayed with the spitfires. Tried the bloodrunners after the rages, lost a nice six point, done with mechanicals. I started shootin Muzzys, success, think I'll stick with those, less moving parts do deal with
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
01 Aug 2011 02:42 PM  
I THINK THE PROBLEM WAS YOU DIDNT HAVE A EXIT HOLE...THE DEER WAS HIT HIGH WITH NO EXIT THE BODY FILLED UP WITH BLOOD THATS WHY YOU COULDNT FIND MUCH BLOOD...
MIKE EVERETT
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
01 Aug 2011 02:44 PM  
ALSO ANYONE THAT IS NOT HAPPY WITH THEIR RAGE BROADHEADS YOU CAN SEND THEM TO ME ILL BE GLAD TO TAKE THEM....HAHA
MIKE EVERETT
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 << < 123

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!