Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Tukey season`s around the corner
Last Post 09 May 2008 01:46 AM by Dobber. 21 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Feb 2008 01:20 AM  
How many of you plan on hunting gobblers this spring(if it ever arrives) ? I`m signed up for the seminar, which I think is a load of BS b/c I can get the same info off the net and it doesn`t cost me a dime . What`s your opinion on the possibility of a fall turkey season and the taking away of two weeks of archery deer season?
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
28 Feb 2008 05:50 PM  
I am all ready for them spring birds and the fall season means that i get a bonus on the property i hunt when i am out with the bow. they aren;t taking away 2 weeks of archery they are just letting me shoot more if i want. As long as the poachers and trespassers stay away i am good with it, for those who bow hunt public land its a different issue as their bow hunts could be messed up
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Feb 2008 03:18 AM  
So does that mean that the fall season is going to be archery only? b/c what I understand it to be is gun or bow, although I maybe wrong again. Anyways it should interesting to see how the gov. screws this up like the gun registry.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
29 Feb 2008 07:32 PM  
think the turkey season is both gun or bow but since no one is allowed to hunt the property i hunt on i will stick one when out bow hunting for deer.
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 Apr 2008 02:49 AM  
Hey Ian, have you heard whether or not the fall turkey season will be hens only or both? Finally looks like spring has sprung and the turkeys seem to be out and about mid-day and the start is just around the corner yeah!!
10 more days till turkey seminar, hopefully my wife and I pass cause it would be nice for her to be able to take a nice tom seeing that she`s been hunting deer for six yrs and hasn`t gotten anything to show for it.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
07 Apr 2008 07:22 PM  
Fall turkey bill passed and its either sex, so hope to stick one with the bow when bow hunting deer in late October
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 Apr 2008 02:07 AM  
thanks Ian, I`m ready except for passing that course , also do you use the bird shot broadheads or do you use the same as for deer? I`m going to try my deer heads and see what comes of it . At least it`ll be reasonably warm , for a while I thought winter was never going to end.
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 Apr 2008 02:10 AM  
OOPS, I just realised that I misspelled TURKEY in the subject. BTW what`s a TUKEY?
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
09 Apr 2008 06:00 PM  
i use mechanicals for turkeys, larger cutting area, try for something around the 1 1/2"
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
10 Apr 2008 02:46 AM  
will be heading to Chatham tomorrow i hope to do some shooting with gun and bow, just to stretch out the muscles and pattern the gun with the new loads
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
13 Apr 2008 02:37 AM  
Passed my seminar course, and I got new mechanical broadheads 2 1/4 cutting diameter. Now it`s just to wait until April 25
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
13 Apr 2008 03:29 PM  
Good stuff
you should check out Ontario Trophy Bucks forum and get yourself in to the turkey contest
Lots of birds already strutting
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 May 2008 03:06 AM  
Sorry it took so long to get back , my cpu got fried from a power outage. Anyways I went out on the 27 th seen 12 birds all hens from what I could tell 80yds away and they busted me in my blind, I was reaching for my binos and the sun caught the lense the wrong way. I guess they do have very good eyesight afterall.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
03 May 2008 05:28 PM  
i got my first bird on the opening day, sat out this weekend, just a bit too much wind, rain, thunder and lightning for me to sit out there.

Lots of time left for them birds, good luck
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
04 May 2008 10:21 PM  
Why would toms gobble for 1/2 hour straight and then all of sudden stop? Sat yesterday morning and had several birds gobbling for 2 hours but they never showed up.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
05 May 2008 02:20 AM  
mainly cause they found what they were looking for, some love
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 May 2008 02:52 AM  
how big was your bird? The birds on Sunday came within 100 yards , saw what looked to be a nice tom with two hens but they disappeared back into the bush almost as quickly as they appeared . Ian I got another ? Do toms usually gobble before sunup b/c Sunday morning they were already gobbling when I arrived @ 530 am ?
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
06 May 2008 01:46 PM  
not a big bird, but had a 6" beard
And yeah the toms will gobble while still in the tree, trying to get all the hens around to realize someone is looking for some love.
What are you using for decoys?
Loads of birds been taken in Ontario already, our Ontario forum has over 50 people with pictures who have taken some great birds. Will be out this weekend hoping to get my sons tags filled and get my last bird. Then the long weekend i have a couple of buddies coming from the Timmins area to try their luck on a bird.
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 May 2008 01:02 AM  
I`m using a hen and a jake for decoys placed around 20 yards from my ground blind with about 5 feet between them.
I saw a bearded hen yesterday near Melbourne , it was in a roadside feild all by herself. At first I thought it was a tom b/c I saw a long beard and then it dawned on me that it was mostly brown and no red/blue head.
I thinking of going out tomorrow morning before taking my wife to her doctors appointment, hopefully something comes out b/c my weekends are getting filled up with other household chores that needs to be taken care of.
Well best of luck to you and son this weekend. Any little hints on decoy placement would be greatly appreciated.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
08 May 2008 01:34 AM  
hen facing you, jake facing away

sometimes setting the decoys out 20 yards but offset, so if your looking straight out your decoys are at 10 or 2 instead of at 12
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!