Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

good info
Last Post 28 Jan 2009 12:09 AM by dman12. 35 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
no game
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Feb 2008 01:31 AM  
trying to find if a 223 cal is enough to drop a deer im getting mixed info so could some one please help by the way its not mine its for my son
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
26 Feb 2008 03:01 AM  
Shot placement will be more critical because of the small caliber,but it will kill a deer.I would recommend a 243,it's what my son killed his first deer with,he was 10.Good luck to you and your son next season.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Mark
8 Point
8 Point

--
26 Feb 2008 03:25 AM  
like tubby said shotplacement is critical and yes it will kill a deer. A good friend of mine's wife used a .222 for several years and had great succuess with it. but I also would recomend the .243. Good luck
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
26 Feb 2008 04:01 AM  
I'm with these guys, I haven't seen them steer anyone wrong yet. If you haven't bought it yet you might think about raising the caliber a little so it will keep him happier longer.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
no game
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Feb 2008 09:43 PM  
thanks for the info on the subject we're going give a try with the 223 and if it dont work he can used 1 of my guns like i said thanks for the replies
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Mar 2008 12:59 AM  
Posted By no game on 02/28/2008 3:43 PM
thanks for the info on the subject we're going give a try with the 223 and if it dont work he can used 1 of my guns like i said thanks for the replies 

Please dont

An effective Whitetail cartridge ,needs to have at a MIMIMUM 1000ft  pounds of energy ,on impact. The 223 falls short , use the 243Win,

Ross Tyser
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Mar 2008 06:02 AM  
What is the rate of twist on the .223 in question? If it is a 1in7 through a 1in9, please visit www.drtammo.com and read the customer testimonial there. Not all .223s are created equal.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
25 Mar 2008 08:08 PM  
ive heard of people killing deer with a 22 mag and 223 cant use either down in fl for deer
SOUTHERN PRIDE
coonbutt
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Jul 2008 04:16 AM  
Can it kill a deer? of course when hit right. Is it ethical? absolutely not!!! I would use at least a 243 or higher.
SJAdventures
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
13 Jul 2008 02:14 AM  
I agree that a 223 will kill a deer if shot placement is perfect but a 223 is not an ethical choice.
sjadventures@cableone.net
www.sportsmansjunction.com
Booking Hunting Trips Worldwide
slayer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
15 Jul 2008 02:15 AM  
my buddy killed a deer with a 223 at just shy of 500 yrds it was his first deer a doe it was on a flat out run and he dropped it. Heart shot!!!
GONE HUNTIN'!
jeremyjms06
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Jul 2008 06:17 PM  
If you do go with the .223 definately get your son plenty of range time cuz shot placement is critical. If he doesnt make pretty much a perfect shot then all you have done is wounded the deer. The .223 will kill a deer but like I said the shot needs to be perfect so range time is a must.
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
18 Sep 2008 06:19 AM  
I don't know if I would label a legal cartridge for deer as unethical. In states where they are not allowed, the 223 is illegal. I would argue that ANY caliber if not properly used can be construed as unethical.

If you are not able to harvest a deer with a specific caliber, don't use it. I would encourage you not to label it as unethical.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
18 Sep 2008 02:21 PM  
its not ethical thought, your using a varmint gun for deer, you wana have enought power to bring it down, not wound it and track it.
SOUTHERN PRIDE
btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
19 Sep 2008 02:51 PM  
to No Game -------Kmehaffey is giving you the straight and narrow of what is the accepted/suggested rule of thumb, power value for killing whitetails(as wrote by the gun writers)1000 foot pounds...It's also wrote in most reloading manuals.
But you need to read your state reg's.a 223 might not be legal,then it might be.On a persoanl note deer have been killed with 22LR,22 mags,22Hornets and everything in between.I know of a kid that is in BTR(Buckmasters Trophy Records book)with a huge buck,that he killed with a 223,course he had to shot it twice to get the job done,but never the less he is in the records book.But a 22 caliber bullit will get the job done,examples of a 22 caliber 22lr/22 mag,22 hornet,223,22-250 and there are several others that I haven't mentioned,but they do work.
paulie
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Sep 2008 06:25 AM  
I would just like to say, legal does not necessarily equate to ethical!! just because a "lawmaker" says, its ok, does not mean that its the right thing to do! Being ethical means "doing the right thing even if the wrong thing is legal"!!
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
20 Sep 2008 08:15 AM  
That same varmint round is the choosen round for our military for most infantry.

Very few rifles kill a deer by "knock" down power. Most do it by creating a wound channel. A 223 has and will continue to create adequate wound channels to kill deer. I'd agree that it is not the ideal cartridge, but it will get the job done.

I would wager that more deer are wounded every year with bows than with 223 rounds. No matter what caused a wounded animal, the bottom line is that a good shot was not made. I'm a bowhunter, I have nothing against the sport. What I'm saying is that any weapon if not used properly can and should be considered unethical. It's not a caliber that is the problem, it's the operator.

btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
20 Sep 2008 02:21 PM  
paulie I hate to be the one to say this but 223's kill more 200 pound hogs in Texas than you even know.22 LR's will even get the job done,it just depends on WHERE you shot a animal that determines on how fast it gives up the ghost.It's a old school hunting skill that was taught at time called ...... Marksmanship
paulie
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Sep 2008 05:05 PM  
Posted By btr568 on 09/20/2008 8:21 AM
paulie I hate to be the one to say this but 223's kill more 200 pound hogs in Texas than you even know.22 LR's will even get the job done,it just depends on WHERE you shot a animal that determines on how fast it gives up the ghost.It's a old school hunting skill that was taught at time called ...... Marksmanship

I did not say that the 223 should or shouldent be used for deer (or what the hell ever else)! What I said was"being legal, doesnt mean being ethical"!!  And thank you but I'm well aware of what the term 'marksmenship'!!  
btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
20 Sep 2008 08:39 PM  
Ahhhh,ethics..........excactly what calibers does than come in,an can a feller get it with a camo stock?You know theres a lot of folks in here lately always hollering Ethics(the forum in general),for anything that they disagree with,or don't like.The issue of this thread, was a 223 good for killing deer,it's a question of caliber size,not a moral debate of right or wrong.Now if a fellar has real good markmanship skills,he could techically kill a deer with a sling shot(caliber again).But personally I wouldn't try it,either the rock or 223,about the smallest I'd pick would be a 243/6mm for a young hunter just starting out,that or a 20 gauge.Also there was a time when everyone said a 243/6mm,22-250 wasn't good enough to kill deer also,looks like the nae' sayers and misinformed were proved wrong.As far as "being legal,doesn't mean being ethical",I suppose you have a PHD and are smarter than all them folks that do countless hours of research to write state game laws.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!