Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Any of you boys ever hunted Public Land in the Midwest?
Last Post 29 Jan 2009 05:39 PM by thomascozart. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
TAC
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Jan 2009 04:26 AM  
I am from NC and would like to do a 10 day (driving there, hunting, driving home) bowhunt somewhere in the midwest, such as Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri, etc.  I have talk to several different outfitters out there but would love to save some cash if I can still find a quality place (forest/land) out there as I believe I can.  I know most of those states out there have TONS of public land.  Have any of you boys ever done anything like this out there.  I would appreciate any help/advice I can get.  Thanks! 
EricFlannery
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Jan 2009 11:09 PM  
I live very close (less than 10 miles) from Grayson Lake Wildlife Management Area here in northeast KY. I could assist with getting you set up in there next deer season. I only gun hunt or muzzleloader hunt, no bow. Check out kdfwr.gov for more information on hunting KY. If you would like to come here and hunt there are several local motels and a couple of larger chain motels (Super * and Holiday Inn Express). Just let me know. Send me a message and I will get back with you.

I would LOVE to do some deer or hog hunting down your way as well.
"Oh bother," said Pooh as he chambered another round.
TAC
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Jan 2009 01:17 AM  
Thanks!  Actually, Kentucky is one of two states that I have looked at so far for my trip.  The other is Ohio.  I have emailed some guys in the fish and wildlife departments.  One responded that my best chance at a trophy deer (130"-150";) would be in west-central Ky.  What are your thoughts on that?  I have never done any hog hunting.  Most of what I hear about though takes place in SC and parts of NC down around the SC line.  I have no idea why you would want to come hunt our deer though.  I have talked to several guys around here that hunt the midwest and they all love it because they say, "the deer act like a deer is supposed to."  Around here if you rattle, blow a grunt call, etc. a buck is going to tuck tail and run 95% of the time.  I don't know if our deer are overhunted or what the deal the is.  I swear around here when a buck turns 3-4 years old he instantly becomes nocturnal.  Also, most of our woods are so thick and impenetratable that you have to hunt the field edges.   I know some of you are thinking, "Oh yeah, welcome to deer hunting EVERYWHERE."   My buddies and talk all the time that we would LOVE for some of those guys that have there own hunting shows to come down here and see what they can do.
EricFlannery
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Jan 2009 09:20 PM  
As far as trophy bucks go (130-150") central KY would be a good bet but don't count out Northeastern either. Not a lot of people want to attempt to hunt Grayson Lake WMA since it is public land. Only 29 deer were taken from Grayson Lake this season (as stated by telecheck results) and 10 of those were bucks with 9 having visible antler.
TAC
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Jan 2009 04:34 AM  
That makes sense because I am hearing a lot of good things about Adams County Ohio, which is on the border in southwestern Ohio.  The game wardens that I have talked to from (mostly SW Ohio) have ALL said, "Get there early and hunt DEEP in the woods."  They said that most of the locals won't hike very far to hunt.  I like the sound of that.  It doesn't sound like are too far from some of the areas I have focused on so far in Southwest Ohio.  How different is your land/terrain from what I am looking at in Ohio?  My number 1 concern is to get away from the crowds and have some freedom in my hunting choices.  I keep hearing that the southeastern part of Ohio is MUCH more rural but doesn't have quite as big of deer as the southwest, which also has more concentrated hunters.
EricFlannery
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Jan 2009 04:45 AM  
As far as terrain goes it is very similar (lots of woods, some pasture land and very hilly). However, Ohio tends to have more pasture land than what my area has. I myself have hunted Adams County, Ohio and there are some MONSTER bucks up there. The only problem I had in Ohio was that the locals really, really don't want "outsiders" hunting there. I tried to hunt private land as a friend of mine has some family there that allowed me to hunt ONCE, after that season they began leasing to a local hunter who had leased approximately 500 acres of adjoining farms throughout the county in search of one particular deer.

Anything good to hunt in NC? I'm up for trying about anything. I've hunted almost everything there is to hunt in KY except the elk.
TAC
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Jan 2009 04:57 AM  
Our duck, turkey, and even deer hunting can all be good, but it depends on where you go.  Other than the duck hunting, I would imagine you would be "downgrading" by leaving KY and coming to NC.  There are places along the coast where the duck hunting can be AWESOME but I don't hunt down there much anymore unless I get an invite.  Now, if you want to do some pretty good offshore fishig for dolphin, tuna, wahoo, sailfish, blue marlin, etc. I would say yeah, come oh.  Charters are somewhere around $1500 I think.  My dad has a 26' centerconsole that my brothers take out there when we get a chance to get away and it's always a good time.  However, if you get seasick it will be one of the most miserable days of your life...so I have heard.  Fuel was so expensive this past summer that I didn't even bother trying to get out there. 

I talked to a guy that raved about western KY deer hunting.  He said that the Land Between The Lakes was really a hot spot for HUGE deer.  You agree?
EricFlannery
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Jan 2009 03:35 AM  
I would definitley agree that Land Between the Lakes is a very good spot. Also look at Washington County and through the central parts of KY as well. I can think of 10 deer within the last 2 to 3 years that went 150+ B&C that were taken from the county I live in and there could be several more that I don't know about. I am very good friends with some Kentucky State Police officers here and I know of one person that they along with Fish and Wildlife officers arrested this year for poaching who had 8 racks that would go 140+ that he had taken illegally this year alone in a neighboring county.

This is kind of sad but I live within 10 miles of a great duck/goose lake and have never duck or goose hunted in my life (not alot of people around here like to as the season is in January and it's usually super cold). I have been offshore fishing twice in Florida but only because my father-in-law has a friend that lives down there and likes to take his boat out when we go on vacation. Downgrading or not I just like to try hunting for things in other places of the country. I've been deer hunting in Kansas, upland bird hunting in Nebraska and bass fishing in Mexico. I may have an opportunity to bear hunt West Virginia soon (sounds like fun, never bear hunted before either).

Check out this post from my 10 point that I killed this year. He scored 131 0/8". There were two bigger deer with him when I shot him but I could not see them until I shot and they spooked. I got him off private land that my inlaws own within 1/2 mile from city limits.
EricFlannery
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Jan 2009 03:36 AM  
EricFlannery
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Jan 2009 03:38 AM  
www.buckmasters.com/Community/Forums/tabid/60/forumid/7/postid/26997/view/topic/Default.aspx

Try it this time. The link didn't show up in the last post. Sorry.
TAC
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Jan 2009 05:39 PM  
Nice Buck!
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!