Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Questions about pheasant hunting!!!
Last Post 08 Nov 2008 04:17 PM by r_rayjr. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 Nov 2008 07:29 AM  
I have a few questions about pheasant hunting. A cousin of mine is suppose to take my pheasant hunting this year. I have never been pheasant hunting and so I wanted to know, what shotgun shot size is good. The only shotgun shells I have is #8. And then of course the slugs for deer hunting. But I was wondering if this is good enough, or should I get some bigger shots?

I have 3 boxes of 25 shells, so a total of 75 #8 shotgun shells. I bought them a year or 2 ago when I seen them on sale at walmart. Anyway is there anything else that would be good to use these shells with. Like Rabbit, or Squirrel or some other small game???

Also I wanted to get some tips for this pheasant hunting too. Since I have never hunted any kind of bird before. And since I having even shot skit (or what ever those clay targets are called) before either.

Anyway, thanks for any and all help with this.

Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
jake99
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Nov 2008 05:24 AM  
well #8 shot is to small for pheasant..i would go with a bigger shot size like #6 or #4 shot for them an i would use the 8 shot for dove or quail or just shooting clay birds 
jeremyjms06
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Nov 2008 02:53 PM  
I'm a big bird hunter and I only hunt Pheasant with #6 shot
Ronald Ray Jr.
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Nov 2008 04:17 PM  
On the 2nd or 3rd, I went to the Walmarts to buy #6, but they didn't have any at all. I didn't even see a place for them. The next size they had was #5 So that is what I ended up buying. The box said that it was "IDEAL FOR PHEASANT".

The only thing now is, yesterday, I found out that there are some places here in Iowa, that require non toxic shot for everything except deer and turkey. And the brand I bought says that it is lead. There were other brands but cost more. I bought the cheapest brand which was Winchester Super X. The Slugs I have for deer hunting is also Winchester.
Ronald Lee Ray Jr.
rrjr11@cox.net
Disabled Navy Veteran
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!