Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

SURVIVAL TIPS
Last Post 29 Jul 2007 06:05 PM by btr568. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Mississippi
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Jul 2007 02:36 PM  
Lets hear some survival tips. Anything from starting a fire to what to eat and how to cook it. Doesnt matter where you heard them, as long as they work.

My papaw told me about an indian fishhook. You take a small stick (1/2" at most depending on size of fish) and sharpen both ends. Notch it in the middle for your line tie. Thread your bait on the stick covering as much as possible. The fish swallows the stick (it has to swallow it completly) and as you pull aginst it the ends lodge sideways in the fish and he is hooked. Not very ethical, but could save you in a pinch.
"Only perfect practice makes perfect, anything else just gets you good at being bad."
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
26 Jul 2007 04:12 PM  
I always let someone know where i'm gonna be and what time I supposed to be back.It's also good to carry a cell phone or two way radio.
It's also wise to have some type of survival kit(something to start a fire with,snacks,first aid kit)
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
kcgrill
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Jul 2007 03:15 PM  
Saturate some cotton balls with a petroleum jelly such as Vaseline. They make great fire starters, stay fairly water resistant, and can be stored in a 35mm film canister. 
The trick birthday candles (the ones you can't blow out) also make a good fire starter outdoors. You will need to bundle several of them together to make a satisfactory heat source.
cb
8 Point
8 Point

--
27 Jul 2007 04:07 PM  
When a bear is charging,run real fast!
xkmorris
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Jul 2007 02:39 PM  
Put a roll of toilet paper in your back pack. Besides helping mark a blood trail it saves a lot of "T" shirts.
xkmorris
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Jul 2007 02:47 PM  
I always have a Magnesium fire stick with me when out in the woods. Very easy to start a fire with them.
xkmorris
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Jul 2007 02:50 PM  
I also have my GPS with me at all times. Just make sure to have extra batteries in your back pack.
btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Jul 2007 06:05 PM  
Lighter(fatwood)slivers,I carry at least 6 pieces.No chemical smells,won't leak in your pack.2 slivers will start a fire even with soaking wet wood,including the lighter being soaked.I also carry a bic lighter in a ziplock baggy.1 small roll of black nylon twine(in case ya have to build a lean-to)1 pair of nail clippers for cutting that twine,just in case I was to lose my knife.1 10mm garbage bag(instant poncho) or can be cut along the seams for building a real waterproof roof for a lean-to.1 referre's whistle(personally I can't whistle for spit,also you can only holler for so long till you get to hoarse,also the sound will carry much farther than the human voice.)1 roll of plastic flagging tape(hot pink,bright orange or the glow green,sticks out in the woods like a sign),1 Sharpie black magic marker,it will write on the flagging tape,in case you have to leave folks a message to help find you
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!