Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Antelope killed at 117 yds with a bow
Last Post 26 Nov 2009 11:07 PM by mark14. 63 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 41234 > >>
Author Messages
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
05 Sep 2007 04:20 PM  
I understand that practice makes perfect(so to speak),but I don't think it's ethical or a good image for our sport.
I just read an article on realtree.com,where a guy killed an antelope with his bow at 117yds.There are some many things that could go wrong at that distance.He justified it by saying he practiced on 3D targets at extremme angle and range.I think he said the fartherist target he practiced on was 130 yds.
What gives?I thought bow hunting was all about getting close and beating the animal in his house.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
05 Sep 2007 11:47 PM  
That guy is not a hunter,he's an ##### for even attempting a shot at that distance.
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
05 Sep 2007 11:51 PM  
Ageed, shooting 3D at that range is fine. But trying to kill an antelope that far out is retarded. An animal like that has a super high strung nervous system and could be 3 feet off center by the time the arrow reached the target. Just plain retarded.
The Bulldog
Forum Moderator
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 12:06 AM  
I say good for the hunter. I know I cannot make a shot like that. He apparently knew he could. That IMO is an awesome shot. Just because some cannot make such a shot, why knock someone who can. There is always risks when you let the arrow go, or pull the trigger or what have yah. I don't know how many of you have ever been out west. But I have been as far west as South Dakota, and Wyoming. It would be difficult IMO to get really close to those animals for a Bow Kill, especially if your out in the open. The hunter obviously knew what he was up against, and prepared for it. He will probably have that animal mounted, and Should put on the brass the yardage at which the animal was taken from. Good for him.
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 01:28 AM  
A bow is a short range implement! Yes you may be able to hit a target at long range. Chances of just wounding an animal is very great! All game animals deserve more respect than this BOZO is giving them! He is not a Hunter,he is just what I stated earlier,an As$h@l& ! I wouldn't hunt with a jerk that would take an unethical shot as he did ! If he wants to shoot foam targets at 117 yards, fine, Have fun,But never ever shoot at a game animal with a bow at that far distance !
hoody06
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Sep 2007 01:44 AM  
I wouldn't even think about that shot. I practice at 70 to 80
just to be able to have a challenge, even at that distance a slight wind and your off the target.
What the he## could he have been thinking. Thats not hunting it was just luck.
thwack is the only sound i want to hear from sept to feb!!!
cb
8 Point
8 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 03:16 AM  
I wouldn't even practice at that range!! But if you could do it, and felt comfortable shooting at that range, wouldn't YOU try? Even if it was luck,he did it.If the story is true
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
06 Sep 2007 03:17 AM  
It was on www.realtree.com.
Tubby
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
06 Sep 2007 03:20 AM  
You should read the story,it's still there as of tonight(Sept 5,2007).
Tubby
newhunter
12 Point
12 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 03:32 AM  
I agree with all those who are saying this guy was WRONG, here is the story .cut and paste style

The 117-Yard Goat

By Jake Fagan

<!-- BEGIN STORY BODY -->

A 117-yard shot at a goat (that’s slang for antelope) isn’t that difficult…unless you are holding a bow in your hands. Controversial? Sure. But what’s not these days? Some people drive a hybrid. Others drive a Chevy Z71 with 48-inch tires. Some limit their effective shooting range to 30 yards. Shawn Monsen’s just happens to be a little beyond that. It’s about knowing your limits. Heck, we all get different gas mileage.

Monsen, part of the Full Moon Productions crew (FMP) which specialize in hardcore bowhunting, is a true Western hunter. He shoots year-round, and dedicates two days out of every week to shooting what is known as the FMP course, which lies somewhere in the mountains of Utah and has 3D targets ranging from 20 to 130 yards. It’s here where Monsen practices shooting at extreme angles, which the West prides itself in. The rest of the week he concentrates on form.

“You have to make time for practice,” Monsen said. “That’s what makes it pay off in the end.”

And while hunting in the Plateau Unit in southern Utah for goats, he put his hardy practice regimen to the test, and then made his opportunity count on the 75-inch Pope & Young antelope right. Did we mention it took him 10 years to draw this tag?

Enjoy the photos. And look for more stuff from the FMP boys coming soon to Realtree.com.

Equipment:

Advantage Max-1 Camo
Hoyt 38 Ultra with 80-pound limbs
475 Grain arrow with 100-grain broadhead
A fiery, bowhunting soul

Webfetti.com

The Bulldog
Forum Moderator
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 04:23 AM  
It appears this hunter has dedicated his life to hunting. Now hunting is not my profession so there is no way I could be that good. But when you have dedicated your life to hunting and it is your profession, then you are going to be better then the typical hunter, weekend warrior hunter ect. ect. ect. You also are going to have better equiptment then the average joe. 2 days a week he is out target shooting. Preparing to take long distance shots. Shots that are common out in his part of the country. The man knew that he had to be ready for anything that his game presented him. And apparently he was.
Sure there is risks involved, but he had trained to be able to make that shot. He didn't just walk out there, see an antelope and pull his bow back and hope for the best. He prepared, and knew his capabillities.
There is risks of wounding the game at that far of distance, but this guy probably could shoot better at long range then a lot of people could at 30 yards. Does that mean that if you can't hit a quarter from 30 yards away that you shouldn't be out in the woods bowhunting? Same thing with gun hunting there is always a risk of wounding an animal, this is part of hunting. No we don't like to thank of the animal suffering, but should we just sit in our stands and not take shots that we have practiced for just because there is the chance the animal might move, or the wind might pick up?
This guy is a professional, and in a different league then most. Why fault him for it?
WANTABIGBUCK
12 Point
12 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 04:27 AM  
I COULDN`T DO THAT AND WOULD NOT TRY IT FOR BOW HUNTING IS FOR CLOSE RANGE AND NOT FAR OUT SHOTS TO BE A SHOW OFF.
The Bulldog
Forum Moderator
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 04:36 AM  
Can you please explain to me how you would stock an animal and get that close to them? An animal that can see you walking/ crawling at them, an animal that in some cases can smell you before you could even see them? If you have ever been out west and seen the wide open countryside you would know that the terrain and such in some places would make it difficult to get within 20-30 yards of a wild animal.  Thats only my opinion, have never antelope hunted so I am not an authority on the subject.  Posted By WANTABIGBUCK on 09/05/2007 10:27 PM
I COULDN`T DO THAT AND WOULD NOT TRY IT FOR BOW HUNTING IS FOR CLOSE RANGE AND NOT FAR OUT SHOTS TO BE A SHOW OFF.

The Bulldog
Forum Moderator
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 04:36 AM  
Can you please explain to me how you would stock an animal and get that close to them? An animal that can see you walking/ crawling at them, an animal that in some cases can smell you before you could even see them? If you have ever been out west and seen the wide open countryside you would know that the terrain and such in some places would make it difficult to get within 20-30 yards of a wild animal.  Thats only my opinion, have never antelope hunted so I am not an authority on the subject.  Posted By WANTABIGBUCK on 09/05/2007 10:27 PM

WANTABIGBUCK
12 Point
12 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 04:40 AM  
I`M WAS JUST SAYING THAT I DON`T SEE HOW SOMEONE COULD SHOT A BOW THAT FAR AND KILL UNLESS IT WAS A CROSS BOW WHICH IT WASN`T STATED IF IT WAS OR NOT.SORRY
The Bulldog
Forum Moderator
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 05:11 AM  
Wantabigbuck, No need to appologize, sarcastic or not, can't really tell for sure. Here is what my point is. If you dedicated your life to hunting, and that was what you got paid to do and such. And you had access to the best equiptment out there. And you had the abillity to go and practice shots on a regular basis at distances that some would consider to be unsafe, but you knew you could make the shot without any problems, would you not take the shot?
Conner Spohn
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 12:08 PM  
I wonder how many animals may have been wounded and suffered before he made this fatal shot?
Eric
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Sep 2007 12:19 PM  
And I bet he has some great fish stories of 5 pounder becoming 50 and up as the story is told. Do you realize to shoot that far, you would be practically pointing straight up into the ski, adjusting for wind and the animal moving. Personally if he did actually get the animal as it is written...it was pure luck.

This guy needs a re-education on the limitations of bows and equipment in the field. I took a poll among our hunters and we feel 40 yards is pushing it. Most of our shots are within 10 yards. My feelings are to become a better hunter...the idea is to have the patience of getting the game your after as close as possible for a quick clean kill.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
06 Sep 2007 03:06 PM  
I don't care if you are good enough to hit a target at yardage exceeding 40 or farther,those targets don't move.I got into bow hunting for two reasons#1 I get to go out and spend more time doing what I love and #2 the challange of getting close enough to kill a animal with my bow.
I have been taught to respect the animals I hunt and I teach my son and others I help in hunting to do.Things like that give the anti hunters more to use .
Tubby
Conner Spohn
6 Point
6 Point

--
06 Sep 2007 06:32 PM  
Posted By tubby on 09/06/2007 9:06 AM
I don't care if you are good enough to hit a target at yardage exceeding 40 or farther,those targets don't move.I got into bow hunting for two reasons#1 I get to go out and spend more time doing what I love and #2 the challange of getting close enough to kill a animal with my bow.
I have been taught to respect the animals I hunt and I teach my son and others I help in hunting to do.Things like that give the anti hunters more to use .

Amen Tubby.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 41234 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!