Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

After the kill - proper prep
Last Post 29 Apr 2012 02:52 PM by malong. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
John W
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Oct 2011 01:54 PM  
I am not young but new to the sport of deer hunting. I want to find the proper way to have a successful hunt including the post-kill prep. I just read in "Field and Stream" that the correct way is to field dress the deer and hand him (her) in a cool temperature for several days. I do not have the space or place to do that. I remember one of my dad's old hunting buddies cutting his up immediately after field dressing and putting the quarters on ice. He would salt the ice and change the ice and water daily for 4 days. Any additional thoughts out there? I want a good hunt and want good meat as well.

Thanks
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
24 Apr 2012 01:04 PM  
I DO ALLMOST THE SAME I DONT ADD SALT AND DEPENDING ON HOW FAR THE DEER RAN AFTER I SHOOT IT, I WILL KEEP IT ON ICE LONGER THE FURTHER THE DEER RUNS AFTER THR SHOT BUT 3-4 DAYS ARE A MIN...ALL THAT ICE AND COLD ICE WATER DRAWS THE BLOOD AND GAME TASTE OUT OF THE MEAT...
MIKE EVERETT
Ma Long
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Apr 2012 02:52 PM  
It works pretty well, the ice and the salt and making sure to change the water daily.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!