Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Past up a 13yrd. shot this morning?
Last Post 05 Nov 2009 08:03 PM by Rugermk2. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
heightman55
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
05 Nov 2009 07:13 PM  

Here it is over 3 weeks since our archery season has opened here in Ma. I have not hunted every day but have been out at least 4 times a week I had yet to see a deer. This morning I had to give my wife a ride to work. She works at a local nursing home less than a mile from our house. Behind the nursing home is a 2300 ac. state forest that is my primary hunting area. My wife had to be to work at 6 and sunrise was at 6:23 so I was a bit late getting to the woods. But my morning hunting area is only a short walk from the parking lot. I got to the large tree that I sit in front of about 6:15 cleared out the leaves that had piled up in front of it and sat on my portable seat. About 7:10 I had to get rid of the morning coffee so I got up and walked about 15yards from the tree to do so. I then returned to my seat about 10 minutes later I saw something move slightly off to my right. Soon I saw a doe and her two little ones walking right toward me. When she got about 25yrds from me she noticed something was not quite right but was not sure just what. She continued to slowly walk toward me with the little ones right on her tail. After they had walked another 4 or 5 yards one of the "skippers" turned and started to walk away. Now with mommy attention focused an just where he was going I got the chance to draw my bow. Now I am standing there at full draw waiting for her to turn slighty for a good clean shot. But instead of turning her whole body she just turned her head to once again look to see just what was around her. This time she raised her front leg and pounding on the ground and the little one with her did the same"cute". She did this 5 or 6 times and then barked trying to get what ever was there to move but I sure didn't. After what seemed like a half hour {more like 2 minutes} She took a few more steps toward me and once again barked. Now here she is 13yards in front of me broadside with nothing between my arrow and her. And she was feeling a bit more comfortable with her suroundings. As was the skipper that had walked away he had now returned and was standind right behind his sibling. And what does the great white hunter do? Slowly realease his draw and just watches as the doe teaches her young the art of survival in the wild. WTF am I turning into a tree hugger in my old age? I just could not bring myself to taking her down while her little ones were with her. I sure hope that I do get another chance to fill my antlerless permit before the season comes to an end. After all there is a reason they issue them. Well there is always another day I guess. Has this kind of thing ever happen to any of you? Let me know if it has. GOOD LUCK to all of you and stay SAFE.

Rugermk2
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
05 Nov 2009 08:03 PM  
I would have done the same thing. Im sure there are plenty other does out there running around without little ones. I don't consider myself soft, but ive been in a similar position before, and couldn't bring myself to shoot either. At least someone else has a little respect for the wild!!! Good Luck on filling your tags, and let us know how everything turns out!
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!