Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Simple but great way to grill venison (pinwheels)
Last Post 13 Jan 2010 06:19 PM by johncushman. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Nov 2007 12:59 AM  
I always run into the same problem...  I have to eat a whole bunch of deer meat to make room in the freezer when season starts coming.  I don't know why I forget all about it..  But try this, I absolutely love it!!!

-Cut deer roast or round steak into chunks about 1.5" or 2" cubes. 
-Put the meat in a bowl and pour in some Dale's Meat Marinade, Just enough to cover it up!!!
                       (If you haven't tried that you are missing out, awesome on everything grilled!!!!)
-Don't let it sit in there more than 10 minutes because it can be strong.  Use this time to fire up the grill and put some foil on it to keep the cubes from falling through. (not in that order)
-Pour off the Dale's Marinade, dont let it sit in the marinade more than 15 minutes
-Cut thick sliced bacon slices in half
-Wrap the venison chunks in the bacon and stick a toothpick through it.
-Throw on the grill and cook to desired result

I have done this on a griddle indoors too and it worked great.
The fat in the bacon tenderizes the venison since it can get pretty dry on the grill and makes it very juicy.  Plus everything is good with bacon

Makes perfect snack for parties.  I promise you won't be disapointed!!!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
None
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Nov 2007 01:07 PM  
I wish we had the problem of extra deer meat, when that's in the freezer it is all we eat and with two boys (who eat like I have 4 of them!) nothing sticks around long!  LOL

This recipe sounds delicious!   Do you soak the toothpicks in water to keep them from burning?

Linda
Well behaved women rarely make history...
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Nov 2007 01:45 PM  
Nope, never thought of that? With the foil on the grill you don't get too much flame up but you do have to watch it pretty close because there is so much bacon grease leaking through the holes in the foil.
I am going to try that next time. Thanks!
None
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Nov 2007 02:29 PM  

I think I'll soak the toothpicks just to be safe, I'm REALLY good at getting flame ups!  Don't even ask how I know how easily vinyl siding warps!    LOL  

Thanks again for the recipe, I'll be making it for dinner tonight.   I'm sure the family will love it, anything wrapped in bacon is a good thing. 

Well behaved women rarely make history...
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
02 Nov 2007 12:33 AM  
My brother n law does something very similar(i think he uses tenderloin)and cooks it on a smoker and he is right it is most delicious!
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
02 Nov 2007 12:38 AM  
Let me know what you think! It can be tricky to avoid the flame ups with all the bacon grease but the foil and low heat helps. BTW that's how I learned to install siding. My brother fired up his new grill and made the siding on his garage look like the cover of a Pink Floyd album! LOL
Will
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Dec 2007 09:24 PM  
You wrap pretty much any edible thing in Bacon and I'm a happy camper especially if it's Deer !!! Sounds great . . . now I have to kill a deer so I can try it out . . . Thanks!
PaulG
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Jan 2008 06:08 PM  
Bacon makes the world go round. You can't miss by wrapping any meat in bacon!
I'll have to try this with some of the backstrap I have left. I'm making jerky with some.

btw, anyone know how to make venison more appealing to someone who doesn't like it? My wife says she doesn't even like the smell of it cooking.
mc6528
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 Jan 2008 06:43 PM  
Sounds GREAT! 
A variation of your recipe is to use backstrap (or ham muscle) steaks, 
slice about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick according to your preference, 
use the same or a similar marinade (soy sauce or worcestershire works well also)........... 
quarter a few small onions or you can use scallions, jalapenos, or something similar, 
wrap marinated venison steak around onion quarter (or smaller if you prefer) 
then wrap with bacon & secure with toothpick (similar to above recipe).  
Cook on grille or in oven about 300 deg until bacon starts getting done ~ be careful not to cook it too long as it will cause the deer steak to be very dry.......... 
GREAT appetizers or can be used as a meal.

FYI ~ de-boned duck breast or dove breast is mighty tasty in this fashion as well.  

I'm not Kris Winklemann & thanks for joining me today in my kitchen! (poor attempt at humor there)
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
26 Feb 2008 12:32 AM  
PaulG.

I don't know if you process your own or not but I mix 1lb of bacon with every 8-10lbs of deer burger and you can't taste any wild taste at all. It smells like bacon when you cook it but just for the first 2 or 3 minutes then it smells like hamburger to me. I tried it on my first deer I shot this last season and really liked it and ended up going out to get another big doe just to turn it all into burger (except for the straps of course)...
Cheeew
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Apr 2008 08:14 PM  
My friends use a maple smoked bacon ! We call it Vermont Lobster!!
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
04 Apr 2008 12:49 AM  
haven't tried that but it's making me hungry!!!
JohnCushman
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
13 Jan 2010 06:19 PM  
I do something similar, but I add a piece of pepper, like a jalepeno or something similar depending on how spicy you like it. I especially do it with liver!!! Food of the Gods, I tell you
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!