Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Best wood for smokers
Last Post 09 May 2008 06:46 PM by SHADOW HUNTER. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
25 Oct 2007 11:46 PM  
Lets see what kind of wood you guys prefer to put in your smokers....

Last week I smoked some deer tenderloins using wood from a plum tree that got damaged in an ice storm last year. Simply awesome. I've also used wood from a persimmon tree with great success.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
26 Oct 2007 01:40 AM  
We use pecan or hickory most of the time,would like to try some apple wood.I prefer pecan because of it's milder taste.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Oct 2007 05:20 PM  
Any nut or fruit wood will work,Apple and Cherry are awesome!
Urimaginaryfrnd

--
28 Oct 2007 06:27 PM  
Mesquite is my favorite, must be a Texas tradition I'm still hanging on to.
THUNDERHEAD 125
))))==========>
THE BUCK STOPS HERE
rnwinter
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Dec 2007 04:21 AM  
Trees you can eat the fruit from always make great smoking wood...ie: apple, plum, cherry, and so on...hickory, pecan, and mesquite offer a more dusky and smoky flavor. I love to smoke pretty much anything, so I love em all.
btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
02 Dec 2007 03:14 PM  
yeah what you guys said,But I also like to mix several kinds of wood together at the same time
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
09 Dec 2007 01:58 AM  
we smoke kingfish with orange tree wood
SOUTHERN PRIDE
mc6528
6 Point
6 Point

--
10 Dec 2007 03:55 PM  
For an extremely unique flavor try sassafrass.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Will
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Dec 2007 09:18 PM  
I use smokers chips in may gas grill and I LOVE the Jack Daniels wood chips that add awesome flavor especially with using a gas grill that can lack the grilling flavor. Once the Jack has aged in the barrels they esesntially just throw them into a chipper bag'em and sell'em. Or mixing the jack daniels smoker chips with another type. I use them for anything and everything on the grill veggies, especiallt potatoes, chicken, beef, deer, fish all of it. I go through propane like crazy year round! I had to clear the snow off the grill the other day to fire it up!!!
Mark
8 Point
8 Point

--
20 Dec 2007 03:01 PM  
My Dad and I do Ribs in a slow cooker smoker that he made in the back yard,we use hickory,apple and cherry  and my mother's BBQ sauce that she won't tell anyone the recipe for( I know it starts out with Catelina dressing and brown sugar ,onions,garlic,ketchup,and I think some horse radish,But she won't tell me the amounts of anything) But these ribs are awesome.
SHADOW HUNTER
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 May 2008 06:46 PM  
I usuall mix apple maskete hickory and chery together to get a spectacular blend of flavors !
IF YOU CANT PLAY WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!