Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Bad genetics or not?
Last Post 19 Sep 2009 09:51 PM by mcraddock. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jerry
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Oct 2008 02:02 AM  
Checked my trail cam (I-40) and got this buck, this is the first time I have seen him, My question is if you got the opertunity to take him, would you take him out because of the way his rack is or would you let him walk and hope he had a better rack next year provided he makes it through hunting season?

ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
14 Oct 2008 03:26 AM  
He might be even bigger next year with alot more junk on his head looks like a 2 1/2 to 3 year old
jeffd
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Oct 2008 04:23 PM  
It depends on the area you're hunting. Where I hunt I would probably take him; you don't see a lot of deer like this. If it's common to see deer this size where you're at then let him walk. He's still young and he'll be better next year if he makes it.
Jerry
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Oct 2008 11:10 PM  
I think ya'll are right, It's a good chance he will make it till next year unless he gets rutt crazy or gets hit by a car. Think I will keep a record of him and se if he shows up next year.....Thanks for the replys guys..
NC Buck Buster
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
15 Oct 2008 06:18 PM  
If you let him walk around here. Someone else is sure to take him. I'd give him a parking ticket.
http://recodesign.net
rescue1224
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
23 Oct 2008 05:59 AM  
Try to wait he may look better next year
PETA (People eating tasty animals)
cfiloteo3
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 Nov 2008 12:46 AM  
It matters what situation you are in. He looks to be around 2 1/2- 3 1/2 years old, so if you think he can make it through the season I would let him walk. Good luck
Crystal City,
Zavala County,
Deep South Texas
bigben
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Nov 2008 02:24 AM  
thats a nice buck, but he'll grow. are you hungry? your call, cant blame you either way
Jerry
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Nov 2008 02:47 AM  
lol no I'm not hungry yet, but my trigger finger is getting itchy.....but I think he I will wait if i see him......
Maddog10
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Nov 2008 04:27 AM  
I agree. I say let him grow... hopefully. Although last year i let a pretty nice 9 pointer walk and started to regret it as i watched him walk away haha
BuckWacka
6 Point
6 Point

--
17 Nov 2008 03:47 AM  
I would take him out of the pool. He is a 2 1/2 year old deer. You can tell this because his belly is flat and has not even begun to sag yet. his neck is long and does not show the muscle of a older deer. He has the "race horse" look to him. Even though he is young, he should have brow tines bigger then what he has. He should also have more on his left side then what he does even at 2 1/2. He has 5 on his right and 3 on his left. With the small brows and the lack on points on the left side, I would say that he is the victim of bad genetics. You can tell this by the short G3 on the right. The G3 should be longer the the G4 and it is not. He is not a bad deer, but I believe that you will find he will still be inferior next year if you let him go. Not only that he will bread and pass on these attributes to his offspring. If you have the chance take him.

trinitydeerslayer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Dec 2008 06:07 PM  
He is young deer, maybe 2.5 but unless you're hunting behind a high fence or are part of a co-op and can better dictate what type of headgear he should have, who's to he's genetically inferior? For instane, tts been dry in our part of the country. Anter size was greatly affected. Have y'all had any adverse conditions that may have impacted antler development?

Only on thing is for certain: if you shoot him he'll never get any bigger. He's as mature at that point as he's ever gonna get.
WANTABIGBUCK
12 Point
12 Point

--
13 May 2009 07:09 AM  
HE MAY GET BETTER.I`D LET HIM WALK
doeslayer
6 Point
6 Point

--
25 Jun 2009 11:05 PM  
Let him walk if he gets bigger your happy if he does not and you take him next year your still happy
wake me up early, be good to my dogs and teach my children to pray.
BOWHUNTER missouri
8 Point
8 Point

--
07 Aug 2009 02:27 PM  
i would take him, but thats me. thats as big he maybe, who knows its your call either way its a nice buck. if you don't somebody else will.
GIT-R-DONE
randyb
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Aug 2009 02:28 AM  
i would take him. here where i live he is a real nice buck.
bowhunter1990
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Sep 2009 04:36 AM  
that deer apears to me to be a 2 1/2 and according to QDMA at 2 1/2 years old a deer is showing 25-50% of what they can acheive so i say let him walk he is pretty decent for 2 1/2. he might gross 100 right now so he could be a 200 class deer if he lives to acheive antler maturity. So i say let him grow but then again your call.

-G
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
19 Sep 2009 09:51 PM  
LOL, the original post was last year in October so I'm guessing he has already had another year to grow!

I see deer like this all the time in one area I hunt in Spartanburg county. We got one huge 6 pointer of that tract last year and I'm hoping that he was the main culprit in the poor genetics on that tract. But odds are that he has put enough offspring out there that we will never get these "management" deer off this place.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!