Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Racoons!!!!
Last Post 21 Jul 2009 08:13 PM by pinetree. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Justin
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Sep 2007 02:10 PM  
Does anyone know of a good deterent for racoons? I have two feeders set up and they are killing me with the amount of corn/feed the eat! I have pics of both feeders with up to 9 at one time eating my corn! I dont want to mess up my area so early in the season, especially with muzzleloader opening next friday. And with the price of corn this year I cant afford to feed racoons 50-100lb a week ! Anyone got any suggestions?
Howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
24 Sep 2007 11:47 PM  
Try trapping them, but check with your wildlife department first to see what's legal. My brother used to have racoons by his house and killing his few chickens. He bought a 10-22 and his coon problems seemed to "die off."
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
26 Sep 2007 12:14 AM  
They are probably robbing you blind mostly at night, right?

I have two methods that may help you irradicate your problem.

1. Use a crossbow with a scope and mount a spotlight or good flashlight to it and set up on your feedsite for a couple of nights. When you here the corn crunching, turn on the light and have at 'em.

2. Use the Have-a-heart trap for medium sized animals and bait it up with some peanut butteror other good foodstuff
wrenchman30
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Sep 2007 09:38 AM  
i dont see where 9 coons are going to eat 50-100 lbs a week. i put out 40 on the weekend and the deer eat most of it. i have coons in a pic at one time. the corn lasts about 4 days. i am getting 650 pics a week off of this paticular camera/feeder. deer will not pay attention to coon blood if you happen to kill a few.
Justin
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Sep 2007 11:54 AM  
Well I didnt think racoons could eat 50lbs of corn aweek either but I have no pics of deer eating the corn, thay are all behind the feeder crossing on the trail! 8-9 coons per nite for seven nites can and do eat a lot of corn! Not sure if they are the same ones but my other feeder has the same problem, got same kinda pics at it too. I thought about using a 22 at nite but with the muzzleloader opener next week I dont want to disturb my stand. Maybe after it closes I can try and thin them out
WANTABIGBUCK
12 Point
12 Point

--
02 Oct 2007 05:48 PM  
DON`T KNOW IF IT WORKS OR NOT BUT HAVE BEEN TOLD TO PUT DEER CANE IN YOUR CORN FEEDER AND THE COONS WON`T EAT IT.
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
03 Oct 2007 04:14 PM  
WE TRAPPED 6 COONS..THEY WERE EATING ALL OF OUR CORN AT THIS ONE FEEDER...SO WE TRAPPED THEM AND HAULED THEM OFF.....WE USED SARDEANS FOR BAIT....
MIKE EVERETT
wisconsincamofem
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Oct 2007 08:10 PM  
Traps sound reasonable to me,.... less of disrupting the area prior to the hunt. We use sweet corn and should still be farely in season at a good price... cobs work well,... but you could probably also pick up a small bag for a buck at your grocery store and scatter it in some cages..
Land of the Packers, Miller, Great Cheese, and Deer Camps
grimreaper
6 Point
6 Point

--
07 Oct 2007 05:02 AM  
I hear Muzzy makes a great coon deterent.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
CTtackdriver
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Oct 2007 04:46 PM  
we do Nuicance wildlife control. we use the havahearts and a can of sardines for coons most times.

But like somone said above ..... Muzzy's during hunting season are the best medicine when they are on your feeder like that.
randy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Nov 2007 12:39 AM  
i hunt coons in south ga with dogs. and probably the best way to get them gone is trap them. i'v traped hundreds of them to train dogs just about any thing that you use will work. i'v used fish,corn,potato chips,vanellia sent, mackarell,sardiens and i'v even used peppermint and they all work
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
27 Nov 2007 04:54 AM  
I own a pest control company and most all the products that repel animals/snakes/birds contain naphthalene. Its the same ingredient in moth balls and sometimes it's mixed with a little bit of blood meal. You can tell as soon as you put it to your nose and it has that "grandma's closet" smell to it. Problem is, that it is a deer repellent too found in products like Deer Off!!! You can spread it on your garden or around fruit tree to keep the deer out, so DON'T use that! lol They will just get used to it anyway and start coming back. We always just run the hava-heart traps with canned cat food or a can of tuna, whatever we can find cheaper. Don't open it all the way, just poke some big holes in it so they can't eat it in the trap and you can reuse it. It will probably only take a week or so and 2 cans of tuna to wipe them all out.
I got lucky and walked out to my food plot and saw three of them sunning themselves in the tree above it. I guess they were so full from all the plot seeds they didn't even wake up to .22 shots so they never moved an inch.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
fishmaster911
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Nov 2007 01:36 AM  
try roasted soybeans deer love it and coons hate it ! i mix that with corn, it cut the coon ratio down alot
dccarroll17
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Oct 2008 09:30 PM  
Well here in east Texas we were having a real problem with coons climbing our legs and using their hands to spin the feeder dropping more corn 2 the ground. So what we did was slide pvc pipe over our feeder legs and then screw in a bolt behind the pvc pipe. When they climb onto the pvc it will spin throwing them off. Hope that helps if ur having that problem but if they are eating the corn that is already on the ground then all I can think of is for you to just start trapping.
jeffd
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Oct 2008 06:15 PM  
I think I may have a similiar problem?
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
28 Oct 2008 06:31 PM  
Trap them or get a high powered pellet gun and shoot them
SOUTHERN PRIDE
doeslayer
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 Jul 2009 05:13 PM  
Ruger has the coon eliminator called 10-22
wake me up early, be good to my dogs and teach my children to pray.
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
21 Jul 2009 08:13 PM  
I LIKE THE TRAPS SO I DO NOT HAVE TO SIT OUT THERE ALL NIGHT...BUT THE RUGGER WOULD BE FUN...
MIKE EVERETT
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!