Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
need some planting advice please
Last Post 24 Sep 2007 09:24 PM by Shawn. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cnails
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Sep 2007 10:26 PM  
First, thatnks to all of you who helped me with my last question. I am very new to planting food plots and your help has been very appreciated.

I have a 3/4 acre plot that I have plowed. My question is this: should I drag it (fence behind 4wheeler) before I plant the wheat/clover? Or, should I go ahead and spread the seed and then drag again with the 4wheeler? expecting some rain Sunday thru Wed of next week, so I would like to get it planted soon.

All the advice that you could give me would be very valuable.

Thanks again for your generosity in helping this ignorant new planter!
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls --> Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
ShawnibalLecter
Forum Administrator
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Sep 2007 09:24 PM  
Plant the large grains at about 1/4 to no more than 1/2 inch deep, then drag. Spread your clovers on top of that and leave it. The small clover seeds generally only need soil contact to start. You may suffer a little predation on the seeds but it should be negligible.

Then if you plan on over seeding with clover for the Spring, do what we do here and over seed on a cold frosty morning toward the end of winter. It works great and the melting frost will provide moisture and also insure good soil contact.

Good Hunting

Shawnibal Lecter
If you ever hope to be a credible adult and want a job that pays better than minimum wage, then for God's sake don't pierce or tattoo every available piece of flesh. If so, then plan your future around saying... "Would you like fries with that?"
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!