Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Is annual fertilizing necessary
Last Post 12 Nov 2008 06:20 PM by Soybean Man. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
27 Jul 2008 10:21 PM  

I've read that lime may be a necessary suplement to food plots to correct the ph of the soil.
Is fertilizer necessary every year when planting?  This might be too broad a question, but I think it's a question that can potentially help ease the prices for people with food plots.
Thanks.

BIG RED
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
28 Jul 2008 07:06 PM  
you have worked hard to get it going so, why not keep it that way.it doesn't hurt to fertilize every year.do a good soil test on it and this will let you know what it needs.the healthier you can keep it the better the deer will like it.if you have alot of deer pressure on your plots this will help it recover from heavey grazing.
life member nahc,nafc,amvets.
Jeremiah Johnson
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Jul 2008 04:14 PM  
Fertilizing every year is good but more important is lime. Plants can't utilize fertilizer and other nutients as well if the PH is not right. Lime is cheaper than fertiizer too!
Mike
majthor
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Oct 2008 09:55 PM  
All depends on your soil type, the type of plot you are planting, and whether or not you are harvesting the plot... Short answer is "No", but I would not chance it if I had a well established plot...
Soybean Man
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Nov 2008 06:20 PM  
It depends on if you are removing your nutrients through your crop by mechanical or animal means. Harvesting a crop removes the nutrients removed from the soil. Deer eating leaves also removes these nutrients. If the plots were not utilized, then turn the crop under as green manure. Nutrients that are highly leached like N needs to be applied every year. P and K is usually put out in the fall or early spring for the following years crop in Production Ag due to the time it takes for them to become available.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!