Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Water Hole...
Last Post 19 Aug 2009 03:14 PM by Whitetails-Extreme. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
S.C._DoubleLunger
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 May 2008 02:52 AM  
Hey guys, this may be a stupid question but just curious...its illegal in SC to hunt over bait, but just wondering if any of you guys new anything about water holes, not neccissarily a water hole, it gets really dry and hot during the opening of bow season so i was thinking what if i got like a large water drum, cut it in half then layed it on the ground full of water...how that would work out and if it would be illegal??just came aross my mind..Also has anybody tried this?
xkmorris
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 May 2008 12:30 PM  
No haven't tried that. Water is to heavy to be moving around.We have a lot of creeks on our lease so when it gets hot & dry I hunt the bottoms by the creeks.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
10 Jun 2008 06:25 PM  
ive watched people hunt over water holes on tv but they were big water holes that had water running to it from a pipe, just check with the game wardens or fish and wildlife to see if you can
SOUTHERN PRIDE
grimreaper
6 Point
6 Point

--
12 Jun 2008 10:25 PM  
Not sure if it is legal where you are but it should work especially if there are not a lot of available water sources in that area. I tried using a large rubbermaid container last year. It took the deer awhile to find it but once they did they visited quite regularly until a bear decided it wanted a drink and broke the container.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. Plato
Heartshot
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Oct 2008 12:52 AM  
just seen this post, works best if you bury the "pond" up to the rim or so. Put in shady area to slow evaporation,in a back corner out of the way but with concealable access
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
21 Jul 2009 08:09 PM  
SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA ...BUT IT HAS TO BE ILLEGAL...
MIKE EVERETT
Goldy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Aug 2009 03:24 AM  
I have thought about this for many years.  I  just havn't got around to getting a water tank .  This would be a great idea and I can't see any reason why this would be illegal.   I am thinking of doing it now this year after you brought it up.  I  think I will either get a black plastic one like used for fish ponds in the garden. or a metal one like I have for the horses. You could also just dig a big hole and put in a liner. so every time it did rain it would keep the water in it. Or  just use a five gallon bucket or milk jugs to transport the water.  Good luck  goldy.
Whitetails-Extreme.Com
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Aug 2009 03:14 PM  
Depending on where you are located and the amount of vegetation that is around your area the success rate of having a watering hole will vary. Deer can get alot of there water from the plants and food sources that they eat. Creeks and such are not always the best place to hunt and find mature bucks as they can survive with just the moisture and water from the vegetation like I stated or atleast until its dark enough for that they feel save to venture out. Im not saying deer dont drink from watering holes or creeks, just that depending on other resources it may not be such a hot spot.
http://www.whitetails-extreme.com
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!