Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
.270 Win Ammo
Last Post 25 Sep 2007 10:44 PM by rick. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CarnesE8
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Jul 2007 12:00 AM  

I just fell into a pretty good deal. I just picked up a Browning A-bolt .270 Win with a Simmons 2.8-10X44 scope for $400. I am not to familiar with the round its self other then it being fast and a flat shooter. I will be using it for deer. Just looking to see what ammo and grain combo would work well. Any help for be appreciated

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
29 Jul 2007 02:33 AM  
I like Hornady 130 grn SST,or the Light Magnum from hornady,140 grn I think.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Jul 2007 05:46 AM  
Many don't know this, but your magical 270 is just a necked down 30.06. The 30.06 is the parent to many great calibers including the 25.06, 270, and a few that are not as popular that escape my memory.

It's a great round...and as you said flat shooting. Best of luck getting it going. I'm planning to change from my Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. While they are effective at bringing down the animal, I hit two upper leg bones this year, and lost about 5-10 lbs of meat. The exit wound was huge! Best of luck with that new rifle!
Mississippi
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Jul 2007 12:25 PM  
I shoot every day, and I have used just about every brand but the only bullet i deer hunt with is
the "Barnes X- bullet" It is by far the most accurate factory ammo I've ever used. Its not only an accurate bullet but the damage is unmatched. With the "ballistic tips" you just about have to hit a bone for the bullet to expand. However, these are all copper hollow points meaning rapid expansion .Average entry holes are 11/2" wide. Exit is even bigger. My dad shot a doe between the ribs and the damage was the same. Check out the web site. Barnesbullets.com Let me know what you think
"Only perfect practice makes perfect, anything else just gets you good at being bad."
BuckWacka
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Jul 2007 04:18 PM  
I have hunted with a 270 for 10 years. My question is why buy expensive ammo? The Hornady is about $28.00 a box. The Winchester Ballistic Tips are $26.00 a box.

I have always and will always use the Remington Core-Lok ammo in 150gr. If you want a flatter round then go with the 130gr round. You will pay around $17.00 per box and my rifle will shoot 1/2" 3 round groups at 200 yrds with this round. As far as I am concerned, anything more is a waste of money and you are buying the brand name.

The 10 point I shot last year ran maybe 50 yrds. I shot it with a 150gr Core-Lok. The exit hole was the size of a quarter. This round also retains about 90% of the rounds original weight after impact. So again I ask, why spend the extra money?

diggerdave
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
29 Jul 2007 10:36 PM  
if you want cheap ammo for it look at cabelas under bulk ammo section under shooting gear! it is inexpensive and very accurate! it may not be brand name but you cant shoot the name! this ammo has performed well compared to winchester and federal ammo!!!!!

diggerdave
Mississippi
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
31 Jul 2007 06:45 PM  
CHECK OUT THE WEB SITE AND IT WILL SHOW YOU WHY. I use the "expensive ammo" because my entrance wound is bigger than your exit wound, and most shots are pass through. There is a demonstration on their web site that shows why the X-bullet expands much more rapidly than its competitors. True enough nine out of ten of your deer may not go but 50yds but i dont want to chance that 10th deer. "Core-lok" ammo just doesnt preform well enough for me. If your willing to settle for an "ok" round that will get the job done most of the time, then go for it. However if you want the most accurate bullet with the most rapid expansion available, while still retaining its weight, go with the X-bullet.
"Only perfect practice makes perfect, anything else just gets you good at being bad."
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
31 Jul 2007 10:29 PM  
I prefer the premium ammo as well,Hornady ammo preforms well from all of my guns(.270&7mm mag).Very accurate and packs a wallop.SST's and spire point are my favorites.
Tubby
BuckWacka
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Aug 2007 03:12 AM  
All I know is that the Core-Lok has taken 8 deer, 2 bear, and a moose. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I will continue to shoot the Core-Lok. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I have never lost an animal with the ol' 270 and the Core-Lok combo.

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
01 Aug 2007 02:02 PM  
It's all I used to shoot,not sure why I switched but I did.They say Cor Lokts are the deadliest mushroom in the woods!Personally I would shoot the Cor Lokt bullets in my 270 without any concerns,but my 7mm doesn't like them.
Tubby
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Aug 2007 02:42 PM  
I believe more game animals have been taken with core lokt,than X-bullets, dead is dead it doesnt matter what you use.When I used factory ammo I always used Remington core lokt,I have been reloading ammo around 15yrs.
now I load with Nosler Ballistic Tips,Nosler Partition Bullets,Hornady SSTs, Hornady Interloct, Speer SPs, Sierra Bullets.and every animal that I have taken,Didn't go far.SHOT PLACEMENT IS THE KEY!
Uncle Click
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Aug 2007 02:09 AM  
Take a look at 150 gr Nosler Ballistic tip. Been loading them for years. 5 of us in fact. Never had to chace a deer. Never lost a deer.
Whitetail101
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Aug 2007 02:41 AM  
I handload for my 270.

I currently load 54 grains of IMR 4831 under a Speer 150 grain GS spitzer bullet.

I predomantly use this rifle for my western big game hunts, but I will occassionally use it for open field whitetail hunting here in PA.

you can't go wrong with the 150 grain bullet, I've had several deer run a couple miles even when double lunged using the 130 grain factory loads.  They drop within 50 yds when hit with the 150 grain handloads.

I don't worry too much about losing any meat as there isn't much meat in the lung area anyhow

good luck
Todd Segner
5 year Buckmasters Member,Life Member NAHC/NAFC
Member NAFA,VP-Archery ICB&GC
PSE,Mossy Oak, TruBall Releases, Browning, S & M Archery, HIP Targets, Budget Outdoors, Rage Broadheads, On Target2
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
09 Aug 2007 04:49 PM  
I got a mossberg 270 for christmas and I was planning on using the winchester XP3 bullet, there 26.00 a box and suppoesed to be really flat shooting for long range, I plan on sitn it in up to 200 but need to be able of a 300 yard shot
SOUTHERN PRIDE
monsterbuck
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Sep 2007 04:56 AM  
i have a howa 270 and use the xp2 its a 130 grain. shot 130 pound doe last season at 100 yards. hit her in the heart lost no meat and didnt have to track her. as long as u hit the vitals u wont lose any meat
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
19 Sep 2007 08:43 AM  
Winchester 150 grain PowerPoint. Same thing I use in my .270, 30-06 and 7mm Rem mag. If you still want premium ammo, just get the Winchester Failsafe. Same bullet(but moly coated), and different brass and primer.

Once you find a brand thats shoots good groups in your gun, stick with it. Don't buy something else just because the commercials told you it's the newest and best thing on the market.
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
24 Sep 2007 09:25 PM  
go to cheaperthandirt.com they got good deals but there is states that they cannot ship ammo to
SOUTHERN PRIDE
rick
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Sep 2007 10:44 PM  
winchester 130 grain silvertip and winchester power point are very good rounds for deer, rick.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!