Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Alabama Rut
Last Post 15 Feb 2010 07:42 PM by pinetree. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
JP
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Nov 2009 07:33 PM  

Why does the rut occur so late in parts of Alabama? The area that I hunt in Calhoun and Etowah county the rut occured last year around the 1-2 week of Feburary. After not seeing many mature deer chasing last year during the season I used my trail camera to try to find out why. The fawns started showing up the last week of August and the first week of September.

Arch_e_Tech
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Dec 2009 07:28 PM  
I am not sure of a scientific reason as to why the deer rut so late here in Alabama. I understand the rut has to do with length of daylight vs darkness and a lot of peole also believe cold weather affects it. I've also heard that moon phase can play a role in the game. I don't know what of these could be true. All I know is that the rut where I hunt, a bit further south from you in Macon county, usually happens in late January and Feb. as you stated.
I put out some trail cams this year in the first week of August and picked up new born fawns with the momma. That tells me they rutted pretty late last year (Feb.) too.
Whish I could change that, but guess it's something we just have to pray and hope for..... an early rut!
Good luck to ya.
JP
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Dec 2009 10:30 PM  

The gestation period for whitetail deer is supposed to be 200-205 days. The trail cam pics that I have are around the 26th of August that would put the doe being bred around the end of the first week of Feburary. I don't believe that the light or even the weather plays a big of a part as does the variation of breed of deer, such as where they were imported from. There are places in Calhoun county where the rut occurs around November. What i am worried about is the mortality rate of the fawns that die due to doe mother being harvested while the fawn is still in an early stage.

Arch_e_Tech
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Dec 2009 10:49 PM  
I've also heard that where the deer are imported from plays a role. I too believe that a bit more than light or weather. Guess we are just out of luck unless we can afford to bring some deer in that rut earlier.
I have read that a fawn can live on its own from 3 weeks of age and up. Not sure if it is true, but that is what the, "experts," are saying. I just try not to take out a doe if she has a little one in tow. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.
Good luck to you.
Arch_e_Tech
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Jan 2010 08:04 PM  
Well, its the beggining of January and still no sign of the rut kicking in yet where I am. Only seen a few rubs on some trees lately, but no scrapes on the ground. Bucks also seem to still be in bachelor groups, according to trail cam pics, but I'll find out more this weekend when I check the cams again.
How are things looking in your section of woods in Alabama?
Arch_e_Tech
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Jan 2010 08:05 PM  
Found some fresh scapes this weekend and the bucks have broke up out of their bachelor groups. Seems the chasing phase is about to begin. Might catch a little of the rut before the season is over.
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
20 Jan 2010 07:17 PM  
WELL I HAVE NOT SEEN MUCH/NOTHING.... BUT A FEW OF THE GUYS IN OUR CLUB HAVE SEEN SOME SMALL BUCKS CHASEING FOR A WEEK OR SO NOW..BUT THE BIG BOYS HAVE NOT BEEN CHASEING YET...
MIKE EVERETT
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
20 Jan 2010 08:48 PM  
The 8 point my son killed was in rut for sure ! Man did that ol'boy smell loud.No major rut activity seen on our lease..........yet
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
15 Feb 2010 07:42 PM  
WE HAD A DOE WITH 4 SPOTTED FAWNS SEEN THE LAST WEEK OF JANUARY...WHATS UP WITH THAT???
MIKE EVERETT
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!