Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Is deer meat still good?
Last Post 19 Nov 2009 02:26 PM by DenBob. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Cindy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Nov 2009 06:59 PM  

I shot a deer first morning around 7:30. It was raining and we did find blood but not a lot. After tracking for a couple of hours in the rain we lost the blood trail completely and it poured the rest of the day. The next day my husband shot a deer at the end of the afternoon hunt and while looking for his blood trail we found my deer from the morning before. It had lain down in a foot or so of water near a brook flowing through a swampy area.  When I shot him I could not get him to stop and my shot was off and I had hit his gut, hence the low blood sign. The water was very cold and most of his body was submerged.  My question is, is the meat still good after being there for a day and a half?

pjab217
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Nov 2009 07:01 PM  
What was the air temp during the day and overnight?
Cindy
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Nov 2009 03:26 AM  

Air temp was about 55 during the day and about 38 overnight.  The water he was in was very cold, probably high 30s-low 40s

Fossilman
6 Point
6 Point

--
18 Nov 2009 05:53 PM  
I wouldn't eat the meat!Starts to taint by than with the guts still in the body........
God,family and friends,nothing better!!
crockett
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Nov 2009 02:26 PM  

I agree with Fossil, being gut shot and probably the stomach or intestines ruptured nothing will taint the meat quicker. Sorry as I am to say I wouldn't eat it either. As far as the gut shot goes most of us have done it if we'll admit so just chalk it up to a bad experience and keep on hunt'in.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!