Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Starting from scratch
Last Post 16 Aug 2007 12:16 AM by mcraddock. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
12 Aug 2007 03:24 AM  
Today I went to do my annual pre-season scouting and to my surprise, I discovered that the piece of land I have hunted for 12 years has been timbered to put in a hiking and horse trail. The dozer was still there and the trail cut right thru my area, in fact the tree that I always put my stand in was gone. The most surprising thing is that this is on national forest land. We arn't allowed to put up a permanent tree stand, but they can cut an 6' wide road right thru the middle of the forest for hikers!!
I don't mind a bit to share the forest with anyone but there is already 50-60 miles of hiking trails in the county I hunt in. No surprise the trail was named for the senator who pushed the bill. Now I hear they are building a new 20 acre camp ground in the area.
Oh well, I went another 5 miles up the road to try to get to where the deer are less pressured. In fact the last 3 miles I had to keep the truck in 4 wheel drive just to get there. But I did find a likely spot with good cover, deer trails and fresh sign. 
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.
pjk8867
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Aug 2007 05:23 AM  
I feel your pain!! I also have had my hunting area turned upsidedown and am looking for a new area.
Good luck.
May the hunting Gods be with you.
cb
8 Point
8 Point

--
12 Aug 2007 04:50 PM  
Sorry for the loss of habitat.This may be a blessing in disguise.You might have found a better spot to hunt. Keep your chin up with your nose to the wind and your eyes on the target.
Good Luck
BOWHUNTER missouri
8 Point
8 Point

--
12 Aug 2007 08:33 PM  
sorry to hear that . like cb said , you might of found a better spot and that big boy might live there so hope you get him.
GIT-R-DONE
howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
14 Aug 2007 02:40 AM  
Maybe it was time for a change anyway, but I have always lived by the motto "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
This place seems pretty promising, it is however very, very thick cover, but I figure that is were the bucks will be when the hunters furhter down the mountain start tromping around the woods and pushing them out.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.
Vahntr
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Aug 2007 02:57 AM  
Switchback what county was that in? I hunt a lot of National Forest in Va. 
howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
14 Aug 2007 03:03 AM  
Bland county.
I am in bluefield.
Vahntr
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Aug 2007 12:45 PM  
Thanks, I hunt a lot in Nelson county and dont get up that way much before the season.  There really is some good public land in hunting in VA.
PINETREE
8 Point
8 Point

--
15 Aug 2007 08:36 PM  
I HUNT A LEASE AND THEY ARE CUTTING NOW ..IT LOOKS AS IT WILL HELP US .. AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT CUT TO MUCH........
MIKE EVERETT
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
15 Aug 2007 08:42 PM  
We had about a 1/4 of our club cut last season,hopping we have some good hunting this year.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
16 Aug 2007 12:16 AM  
We just had part of our lease thinned out. I'm just glad they got done before season starts. Most of the public land I hunt is regularly timbered as well, so I just roll with the punches and scout new sites too. 

South Carolina has been during real good at bringing in properties to the Wildlife Management Program by adding them to something called a Heritage Preserve. The land is locked with a conservation easment that federally prevents it from ever being developed and allows for public use.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!