Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

light arrows or heavy
Last Post 29 Mar 2009 10:02 PM by rnwinter. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
fjmac
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
19 Feb 2009 12:53 AM  
ive been using acc 3-49 with 100 gran broadheads i am thinking about going to a 2216 with 125 gran broadhead for more power, my current set up my arrow speed is about 130 fps looking for your opions,john
fjmac
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Mar 2009 01:41 AM  
after reading my ? my arrow speed is 230 fps not 130
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
23 Mar 2009 04:27 AM  
lol I was gonna say at 130fps you probably need to worry more about sharper broadheads than heavy arrows... I like lighter arrows just for the speed that you can gain with them especially without going to one of the super fast bows out there now. My back-up bow is an older Martin Lynx that I went from aluminum and 125s to carbon and 100 grains and I probably would have hunted with it longer had I switched the arrows and broadheads sooner and saw how much of a difference it made. It isn't as forgiving but it made it a 40 yard bow instead of a 30-35max yard bow.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
rnwinter
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Mar 2009 10:02 PM  
Hmmm, not sure where to start, since there are so many variables involved. Thinner arrows, heavier broadheads, etc...etc...
Basically an arrow is bringing an animal down by making huge slices and causing a bleed out. If you already have good penetration with a 100 grain head, adjusting to a heavier head won't make that much difference. Again we are not talking impact energy as we would with a bullet, since they are two different killing modes. Now, a bump up in draw weight can give a boost in speed, even with a heavier head, and if your looking for a change in penetration power this would probably be the best change you could make. This would help if you contact bone, but remember that even a bullet can be deflected by bone or even a twig between you and your target.

Changing the spine stiffness of your arrow can affect speed as well by reducing arrow flex and translating more of the release power to the arrow. So, having said all that I would experiment with some stiffer arrows and adjusting the draw weight before I moved up my broadhead grains. Remember that all of these are going to change the performance of your shots and the accuracy you may have started with, so take some good notes as you progress through the alteration of your arrows and weights. You may find you want to go back to your original starting point and this will help you keep that, plus give you a good record of what you liked and didn't like.

Hope this helped some.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!