Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
will pine work to make recurve bow
Last Post 15 Nov 2008 10:28 PM by 2chucks. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mark.nevels
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
15 Nov 2008 12:53 PM  
 I want to make a recurve bow. i am wondering If pine would be ok . I  really don,t want to rap alot of money up in this bow. I want it more as a hobby bow than a hunting bow but I also want it to be able to shoot about thirty yards. I have done some reseach, not alot but what I have noticed is the handles are pine but the limbs are something else.would pine work for all of it and if not then what would my best inexspensive alternative be keep in mind I have to get my  materials at a lumber yard. And also what is some types of glue that would be right for this job
2Chucks
6 Point
6 Point

--
15 Nov 2008 10:28 PM  
Pine is a poor choice and will make a very weak bow. If your goal is to make a bow from items found in a lumber yard. (A very good goal by the way) you would be far better served in buying red oak.

Shape the bow and back it with mesh drywall tape and wood glue. Use two layer of tape (allow the glue to dry on the first layer before applying the 2nd layer)

This will make a serviceable longbow. You did however say that you wanted to make a recurve. In order to do that, you would need to make a form and stem the wood and clamp it to the form to curve the tips, This is do-able but for your first bow, I would suggest a longbow.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!