Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

FPS
Last Post 15 Aug 2007 07:57 PM by T-BONE. 34 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
cb
8 Point
8 Point

--
25 Jul 2007 04:17 AM  
Matthews Switchback--70# 29"draw--Whisker Biscuit--Carbon Express arrows--100gr Spitfires--280 to 290 fps through the chronograph
But that don't mean diddly if you don't hit your target, you just miss faster. I'm thinking about lowering the draw weight to 65# for the coming season and going to a drop-away rest.
AndyC
6 Point
6 Point

--
25 Jul 2007 07:35 PM  
My first bow was a bear whitetail legend from Wal-mart. Shot alluminum arrows that I also bought off the shelf from wal-mart. It was probably pretty slow but it killed deer none the less. I just made sure they were good and close.

I then upgraded to a Hoyt which was alot faster. Never had it on a chrono but safe to say it was in the upper 200s. It shot very accuralty. Gave that bow to my neihbor kid.

I know have a PSE Mach X...not sure of its speed either but I know it seems to be faster and flatter than the Hoyt. It shoots very accuratley for me and all my shots have been pass throughs in the dirt on the other side.

I guess my point is that you can hunt effectivly with any bow and any speed. You just need to know and trust what your equitment is capable of and practice...practice...practice. That way you will feel confident that you know what range you can put a good shot in the wheel house.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
26 Jul 2007 03:09 AM  
I had a Bear Whitetail Hunter that came from wal mart(arrows to),now I have a PSE NOVA and love it.It has a nice balance of speed and accuracy.
It's funny where alot of us got what we started with.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
silverback
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Jul 2007 04:51 PM  
I shoot the Mathews Drenalin set at 68 pounds with mixima 350 carbon express arrows and 100 grain tips.  I shot threw the chronograph at 311 fps.
Whitetail Mofia
We don't Discriminate, We Eliminate
hoody06
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Aug 2007 03:25 AM  
got both!
I can't shoot at less then 50 yards.
Got tired of fixing arrows, it cost to much money
thwack is the only sound i want to hear from sept to feb!!!
ks_hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Aug 2007 01:46 AM  
i know the difference in speed and the energy  of an arrow but how do you know what the kenitc energy of your arrow is ( how do you measure it) and wont more speed = more energy to a certin point 
Phoenix
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Aug 2007 07:01 AM  
hoody, have you ever thought of shooting a three or five spot, most of us that shoot a lot and can robin hood arrows all day long learned a long time ago to switch from a single spot to a three or five spot target.

KSHunter, you take your Arrow weight in Grains and multiply that by your arrow speed then that again by your arrow speed. once you have that number divide it by 450240 and the nuber is you KE.

Weight x Speed x Speed
----------------------------------- = Kinetic Energy

hope this helps
To Hunt or Not to Hunt, that is the question? While your pondering that, i'll be in the woods. My Values are the Army Values; Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage.
Pfc. Chris Smith
ks_hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Aug 2007 09:25 PM  
one of my points being that you need speed to make more energy
Phoenix
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Aug 2007 08:07 AM  
KS- to a certain degree yes, but in order to gain more speed you must do a couple of things like increase your draw weight which inturn affects your arrows spine and grains per pound ratio. you can also decrease your arrow weight to get more speed but you start knocking off Foot Pounds of KE by doing that.

take my setup for instance.... XX78 with a 100 grain head weighing in at 526 grains cronoed at 268 FPS gives me a total KE of 83.90...... where as if i were to switch to the Carbon Express Maxima Hunter with a total arrow weight of 403 grains and my cronoed speed being 293 FPS would give me a KE of 76.84...... for bowhunting, you should want more KE than Speed for best penetration. if i switch i gain 25 FPS but loose a little over 8 foot pounds of KE. that loss could translate into not being able to punch through shoulder if i hold a little far forward on a shot.

hope this helps shed some light on things
To Hunt or Not to Hunt, that is the question? While your pondering that, i'll be in the woods. My Values are the Army Values; Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage.
Pfc. Chris Smith
Q2hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Aug 2007 08:19 PM  
Posted By Phoenix on 08/09/2007 2:07 AM
KS- to a certain degree yes, but in order to gain more speed you must do a couple of things like increase your draw weight which inturn affects your arrows spine and grains per pound ratio. you can also decrease your arrow weight to get more speed but you start knocking off Foot Pounds of KE by doing that.

take my setup for instance.... XX78 with a 100 grain head weighing in at 526 grains cronoed at 268 FPS gives me a total KE of 83.90...... where as if i were to switch to the Carbon Express Maxima Hunter with a total arrow weight of 403 grains and my cronoed speed being 293 FPS would give me a KE of 76.84...... for bowhunting, you should want more KE than Speed for best penetration. if i switch i gain 25 FPS but loose a little over 8 foot pounds of KE. that loss could translate into not being able to punch through shoulder if i hold a little far forward on a shot.

hope this helps shed some light on things

I'll take that extra 25fps any day as long as the KE is still in above 70.  Anything over 70 is plenty for whitetails, and that 25 fps is huge in making field situations easier.  At 293 fps, one pin out to 30 or even 35 yards takes guessing out of the picture, and also eliminates the need for a range finder inside that range.  I shoot a 415 grain arrow at 282, KE of 73+.

You can run, but your gonna leave a blood trail!
milkacow
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Aug 2007 09:45 PM  
Posted By Phoenix on 08/08/2007 1:01 AM

Weight x Speed x Speed
----------------------------------- = Kinetic Energy

hope this helps

wow, i haven't thought so hard about an equation like this since physics in highschool... Now I am determined to get my arrow cronographed just to see how much KE i am shooting.

--Dustin
hoody06
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
10 Aug 2007 05:33 AM  
yeah i do shoot at different spots but you only got one spot on the vitals.
I like to shoot 6 arrows at least in a round. can't afford six different targets..yet.
I like the challenge of keeping 3 to 4 inch groups at 70 yards.
Someday I'm going to get out west and bow hunt for elk or mulies.
thwack is the only sound i want to hear from sept to feb!!!
Q2hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
10 Aug 2007 01:42 PM  
Hoody, if you are shooting 3-4 inch groups at 70 yards, you aint got a thing to worry about bud! As long as you can manage buck fever, I feel really bad for the deer you are hunting. Thats awsome!!!
You can run, but your gonna leave a blood trail!
Phoenix
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Aug 2007 06:49 PM  
Q2, you can have the 25 fps, i'll take the extra 8 foot pounds of energy any day of the week. i still use one pin 0-35 yards and in anywhere i hunt i can't shoot past 40. my stands are set up for optimum oppurtunity to take my shots at under 20 yards.
Pfc. Chris Smith
T-BONE
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
15 Aug 2007 07:57 PM  
I'm getting right around 302
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!