This is one recipe you absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt have to make. From the Venison breaded and cooked to the sauce this is a melt in your mouth dish that will delight anyone in the family from oldest to youngest. Too good to pass up! Serves 6.
• 2 lbs. venison loin
• 2 cups all purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3 extra large eggs
• 2 cups breadcrumbs, dried, and seasoned
1. Slice venison into 1-inch slices. Pound to 1/4 inch thick.
2. In a plate, mix together flour, salt, and pepper. On a second plate, beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon of water. On a third plate, mix breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
3. Lightly dredge venison in the flour mixture, then the egg wash, and then the Parmesan breadcrumb mixture.
4. Heat oil and butter in large cast iron skillet or sauté pan. Cook for about 2 minutes over medium heat on each side or until browned. Place pieces on cooling rack.
5. Place each piece of venison on a plate and serve with Basic Tomato Sauce or your favorite marinara sauce.
Basic Tomato Sauce / Yields 1 pint
• 5 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large onion, diced
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1 lb. tomatoes, fresh or canned, peeled, and chopped with their juices
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• 3 basil leaves, chopped
1. Heat the oil in medium saucepan. Add onions and cook over low to medium heat until translucent. Approximately 6 minutes.
2. Stir in garlic, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and herbs. Cook for 30 minutes.
3. With emersion blender or food processor puree tomato mixture. Adjust seasonings. Serve.
— Stacy Harris / www.gameandgarden.com