This recipe is not only one of the tastiest burrito recipes I've ever eaten, it's incredibly healthy as well. My family practically devours Venison Burrito Supremes before I can roll up the tortillas! They are easy to make, and if you're having a party, everyone will have fun creating their own. Be sure to double the tomatillo sauce recipe and the pico de gallo. You'll need the extra for chip dipping.
Burrito Supreme Ingredients:
• 4 tbsp. olive oil
• 4 garlic cloves
• 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
• 1 can black beans (16-ounce)
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
• 4 plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
• 1/2 red onion, minced
• 1 jalapeno chili, seeds removed, minced
• 1 tbsp. lime juice
• 1 lbs. venison hindquarter
• 4 flour tortillas (10 inch)
• 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add garlic and red pepper flakes for about 30 seconds. Add beans, bring to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. To make pico de gallo, combine 2 tbsp. cilantro, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, and lime juice in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Slice hindquarter venison in half horizontally. Pound each half to about 3/4 inches thick. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until skillet is smoking hot. Place venison in skillet for about 4 minutes on the first side, turn and cook the other side for 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
4. For tomatillo sauce, saute onion in olive oil. Add tomatillos, chiles and garlic. Saute gently. Add the ingredients to a food processor. Add sour cream and cilantro. Process until smooth. Add whipping cream and pulse until blended.
5. Slice steaks thin against grain. Place tortillas on 4 plates and evenly divide rice, beans, venison and pico de gallo among them. Spoon tomatillo sauce on top. Fold tortillas to form burritos. Sprinkle remaining cilantro leaves on top and serve immediatlely.
Ingredients for Tomatillo Sauce:
• 1 onion, chopped
• 4 Tomatillos, finely chopped
• 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and chopped
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1/3 heavy cream
• pinch salt
• 1 cup cilantro
— Stacy Harris / www.gameandgarden.com