posted on July 31, 2013 15:09
We Want Your Hunting Stories!
New for 2014: Men's, Women's & Kid's Divisions in Buckmasters Reader Features Contest!
Do you have a special hunting story you'd like to share with Buckmasters and the hunting world? Here's your chance to be featured on buckmasters.com and win great prizes!
Reader Feature Contest Overview
Starting now, we will choose a story each week to be featured online and send those weekly winners a Buckmasters knife and a cap autographed by Jackie Bushman. On March 20, 2014, we will select the best stories of the year from the weekly winners as grand prize winners in three divisions: men's, women's and kid's (16 and under). Grand prize winners will each receive a $100 gift card, redeemable through Buckmasters Online Store (excludes memberships), a Hunter Safety System vest and a Buck Knives #110 Folding Hunter!
Email us your hunting story and two or more of your best photos to: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Contest begins NOW thru March 6, 2014.
• Grand prize winners chosen March 20, 2014.
• Stories about species other than white-tailed deer are acceptable.
• There is no minimum size of trophy. Even doe stories can be exciting.
• Stories may be from as long ago as you desire, not just from this season.
• Parental consent forms will be sent to parents of kids 16 & under.
• Animals must be taken legally and under fair chase conditions. Low fence only, please.
• It's permissible to write a story for someone else or about someone else. Parents, grandparents and friends are welcomed to submit stories about kids or other hunters. The author chooses who receives the prizes.
• Date of submission has no bearing on winning. You can go ahead and submit a story today!
• Stories should be approximately 350 to 800 words, attached as a Word document.
• Attach two or more of your best photos in .jpg format.
• Authors, include your name and mailing address. This info will not be used for solicitation, nor shared. We only need them to mail prizes.
Weekly Winners Prizes
• Each week, a story will be chosen for online publication and will appear on the front page of www.buckmasters.com as well as our Facebook and Twitter pages. Weekly winners receive a Buckmasters knife and Buckmasters cap autographed by Jackie Bushman.
Grand Prize Winners
• Buckmasters will choose the best men's, women's and kid's stories from among the year's weekly winners. Grand prize winners will each receive a $100 gift card for great merchandise on Buckmasters Online Store (excludes magazine subscriptions), a Hunter Safety System harness (exact model subject to change) and a Buck Knives #110 Folding Hunter.
• Buckmasters reserves to right to give even more prizes to other stories we deem exceptional and unique throughout the year.
• All Weekly winners will be evaluated for grand prize competition.
• Weekly and grand prize winners will be chosen by Buckmasters editorial staff (staff family members are not eligible for prizes).
• Stories will be judged for overall creativity, writing ability, excitement, how well the writer conveys thoughts and emotions from the hunt, and photo quality.
• Grand prize judging will be held March 20, 2014. Announcements will follow shortly.
Tips for good story writing
• Include the three "W"s of good writing: Who? When? Where? Tell who was with you on the hunt (preferably with last name included); tell when, including month, day and year; and where, including hunting setup, county and state.
• Give the reader your feelings, along with the highlights and lowlights of the hunt. Make them feel as if they were there with you. Include a few interesting details that add to the story.
• Photos: send two of your best. Don't worry about tongues and blood. We can take those out digitally.
• Most of all, have fun!
Email your entries to: email@example.com
Facebook Note! If you are a winner or former winner, please make sure to look for our Facebook post each week, usually on Fridays, congratulating the week's winner. We'd really appreciate you liking, sharing and commenting on posts about your fellow winners. They will do the same for you!
And please "LIKE" Buckmasters' Facebook page!