From the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission
Competition was fierce this past weekend as over 1,500 kids from 72 schools competed in the Arkansas National Archery in the Schools Program state tournament. The program is part of the National Archery in the Schools Program and is a part of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission’s education division. The tournament was held at Summit Arena in Hot Springs.
The archery program involves students beginning in the fourth grade continuing through their high school senior year. Students learn archery skills, as well as an outdoor hobby they may enjoy for the rest of their lives.
For the second consecutive year, Hamburg High School took top honors in the high school division, followed closely by Arkansas Baptist and Jasper. In the middle school division, the Batesville took top honors followed by Arkansas Baptist and Blue Steel. In the elementary division, Eagle Mountain Magnet won the division followed by Central Archery and Carlisle Elementary.
Senior high boys individual winners were
•Dakota Bays, Hamburg High School, 283 points, $2,500 Scholarship
•Glen Adams, Hamburg High School, 282 points, $2,000 Scholarship
•Daniel Foster, Hamburg High School, 280 points, $1,500 Scholarship
Senior high girls individual winners were
•Katie Colford, Arkansas Baptist, 277 points, $2,500 scholarship
•Katelyn Hogue, Arkansas Baptist, 275 points, $2,000 scholarship
•Courtney Baker, St. Joe High School, 268 points, $1,500 scholarship
Middle school boys individual winners were
• Anthony Gunderman, Batesville Junior High, 281 points
• Cody Ray, Mann Magnet Middle School, 275 points
• Samuel Scaggs, Batesville Junior High, 274 points
Middle school girls individual winners were
• Sierra Johnson, Batesville Junior High, 268 points
• Haley Lindsay, Batesville Junior High, 265 points
• Katlyn Dowell, Batesville Junior High, 264 points
Elementary boys individual winners were
• Daniel Oden, Carlisle Elementary, 281 points
• Gray Amaden, Carlisle Elementary, 279 points
• Austen Johnson, Eagle Mountain Magnet, 277 points
Elementary girls individual winners were
• Sidney Howe, Greene County Tech, 265 points
• Anna Welsh, Mann Magnet, 255 points
• Mikala Meadows, Eagle Mountain Magnet, 244 points
Archers competed for trophies, medals and scholarships. The schools that took first place honors receive a trophy for their trophy cases as well as individual trophies for each team member. Second and third place teams received individual trophies for each participant. Fourth and fifth place teams received medals.
For a complete list of competitors, go to: http://www.agfc.com/education-class/programs/anasp.aspx#results. For more information on the archery program call Curtis Gray at (870) 319-5136 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
--Photo Credit: Arkansas Game and Fish Commission