Register  | Login

Current Articles | Search | Syndication

One for Grandpa

KingBy Kole King

-- My hunt started Dec. 31, 2005, around 5:30 a.m. Little did I know that I was about to take not only my biggest buck ever, but also experience one unforgettable hunt. I had gone hunting with my dad at our lease in Oplin, Texas. We sat in the truck for a few minutes to let everything settle down a bit and to figure out where the two of us were going to sit. I told dad that I wanted to go sit at a spot I found on the side of a hill.

He decided that he was going to go sit at the place we called the Honey Hole. I had a little bit of a farther walk than he did, so I wished him good luck and set out for my spot. I got to the hill at about 6:15 with just enough time to get settled in before sunrise.

On the side of this hill about half way down I found a dead oak stump about four feet tall. I sat down against a stump and started breaking off weeds and piling them up around me to help conceal my presence.

Just about the time that I got settled in the sun started to come up. I couldn't see through my scope though. I heard something behind me. I turned to see a coyote running right at me. Once my mind processed what was happening, I jumped nearly as high as the coyote. After the unwelcome visitor took off I sat back down with a racing heart.

Eventually, I relaxed, looked down the hill and noticed the outline of a deer headed my direction. It was a buck, and a shooter at that. All I could see at the time were the buck's pearly white antlers in the dim sunlight. I could tell that was an 8-point buck, and one that I wanted to shoot, so I got ready.

Finally, the buck came into a clearing at about 75 yards away but I still could not see my crosshairs very well. I waited for what seemed like an eternity, but was only a few minutes. The buck was starting to get impatient and acted like it was going to leave the area.

I looked through my scope again and was able to see the crosshairs. I took a deep breath and squeezed the trigger. I knew that I made a good shot. The buck ran for about 30 yards and piled up. My dad heard the shot and came over to see had happened.

What makes this hunt so special to me is that it was my grandpa's birthday. We lost him to cancer three years before this hunt. When he died, I bought the .243 rifle from my grandma and harvested this big buck with it.

Kole King
Clyde, TX

arrowNot A Buckmasters member? Join Now! | | |

Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!