Register  | Login

Current Articles | Search | Syndication

One Fine Buck

Mike CreechBy Rick Creech

-- I have been a deer hunter for many years and have found that bowhunting is much more enjoyable than carrying a rifle to the woods. To prove my point, I now have a phenomenal buck, which I took with a bow this season.

My wife and I celebrated 10 years of marriage this year. Needless to say, she has spent many hours without me at the house during deer season.

We returned from a weekend vacation around 4 p.m. I had not planned on hunting until I headed out to pick up our daughter from her grandmother's house. I spotted three does in one of my fields as I pulled out of the driveway. After I made it back home, I asked my son and daughter if they would like to go hunting with me. They were busy playing and declined the invitation. So, I kissed my wife goodbye, grabbed my bow and headed to the woods.

I walked about 15 minutes in and found a tree that had fallen over beside a little creek, which was dried up, and sat down. I sat there thinking how it would play out if the does emerged. I picked a good shooting angle from every direction I thought they might come. I watched nothing but squirrels for probably an hour and a half.

Frustrated, I grabbed my bow and started for home. I walked about 15 feet, stopped for no longer than five minutes and thought I heard another squirrel. Ten minutes passed before I saw the legs of a deer behind some brush. I thought it was one of the does. Then the deer put its head down, and I realized it was a buck.

I quietly walked back to where I had been sitting, stood in the dry creek bed and waited. It only took a minute and then it appeared 25 yards away. The buck kept its head down, which did not give me a solid view of its antlers. I drew back and waited for the buck to stop. Once it did, I took a step, which snapped a twig, but I was able to let the arrow go. Immediately, the buck looked up as the arrow hit it. The deer took off, but I still could not determine the size of its rack.

I waited just a few minutes, and I walked to where the deer had stood. At first I was upset because I didn't see my arrow or any sign. I walked in the direction the buck ran, and after about 10 feet, I found half of my arrow and a trail a blind man could follow. I tracked the buck for about 60 yards, and there it was in the creek. I walked up to the buck and was in awe. This 200-pound buck was the biggest deer I had ever taken.

Rick Creech
Crab Orchard, Kentucky

Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!