Register  | Login

Current Articles | Search | Syndication

NY 2010-2011 licenses available Aug. 16

From the New York Department of Environmental Conservation

-- Licenses and permits for 2010-11 can be purchased at one of DEC's 1,500 license sales outlets statewide beginning Aug. 16. Sporting licenses can also be ordered by mail, phone or the internet at, and are valid Oct. 1, 2010 to Sept. 30, 2011.  
The Department of Environmental Conservation Automated Licensing System (DECALS) is New York's program for issuing sporting licenses and tracking license sales and revenues.  For questions regarding license purchases, call (866)933-2257 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday Aug. 16  to  Oct. 16.  Regular weekday hours of 8 a.m.  to 5 p.m. resume Oct. 18.
License buyers should have the following items ready when applying: complete name and address information, customer ID number, proof of residency information (driver's license number or non-driver's ID number to qualify for a resident license), and credit card and card expiration date if purchasing by phone or online. Hunting license purchases require individuals to provide proof of hunting education certification or a copy of a previous license. Or the  information must already be in their DECALS file. Sales of all sporting licenses support the Conservation Fund used to manage New York's fish and wildlife populations.

New regulations go in effect
Air guns can now be used for hunting small game.  Pheasant hunting areas and seasons have been modified.  The Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) containment area has been decommissioned, and hunters in that area are no longer required to have their deer checked for CWD.  Several trapping regulation changes also have been made, including eliminating the requirement of furbearer possession tags and pelt sealing for beaver. More details for each of these changes are available in the 2010-2011 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Guide online at

Deer Management Permits
Deer Management Permits (DMPs), often called doe tags move the population toward objective levels in each Wildlife Management Unit. A  map of WMU boundaries across the state can be found at   The target DMP allocation for 2010 varies by unit, but outside of the Adirondack Park and the Tug Hill Plateau, only WMUs 3A, 4L, 4U, 4Z and 5T will be closed for DMPs in 2010.  Applicants are reminded that DMPs are only valid for antlerless deer in the WMU specified on the permit.  

DMPs will be available at all license issuing outlets and by phone, internet or mail, from Aug.16 through close of business Oct. 1.  DMPs are issued through a random selection process at the point of sale, and customers who are selected for DMPs will receive their permits immediately. Chances of selection in each WMU are available at License Issuing Agent locations, at, or you may call the DMP Hotline at (866)472-4332.  Chances of getting a DMP are the same throughout the application period, so hunters do not need to rush to apply for a DMP on the first day of sale.
Leftover DMP sales begin Nov. 1 and continue until all DMPs have been issued in the WMU.  Additionally, bonus DMPs will be available in the bowhunting-only WMUs 3S, 4J, and 8C and in Suffolk County (WMU 1C).  For information about bonus DMPs see

Be a Mentor to a New Hunter or Trapper
Adult hunters and trappers are encouraged to become a mentor for a junior hunter or trapper.  The junior hunter and trapper mentoring program allows 14- and 15-year-olds to hunt big game with a firearm while accompanied and supervised by an experienced adult hunter. It also allows unlicensed youth less than 12 to accompany and assist a licensed trapper who is at least 18 years of age and has at least three years of trapping experience.  More details about these opportunities are available in this year's Hunting and Trapping Laws and Regulations Guide and at

Contribute or donate to the Venison Donation program
DEC encourages all outdoor enthusiasts to consider purchasing a Habitat/Access Stamp and/or a Trail Supporter Patch.  These stamps and patches help support the DEC's efforts to conserve habitat and increase public access for fish and wildlife-related recreation and maintain non-motorized trails. Buying a $5 stamp or patch or donating directly to the Conservation Fund is a way to help conserve New York's fabulous wildlife heritage and enhance outdoor recreation in New York State.

Anyone can help feed the hungry with a contribution to the Venison Donation Program at a license issuing outlet. For more information about the Venison Donation Coalition, go to