Register  | Login

Current Articles | Search | Syndication

Not Bad for a Grandma!

Not Bad for a Grandma!

Mama's persistence puts the boys to shame

By Nancy Strueby

It all began with my normal opening morning rituals.

I awoke long before the boys, put on a pot of coffee and prepared my gear.

I eventually woke the boys - my husband, my brother Bruce and my son Quentin. I went out the door long before they were ready to go hunting.

We are so very lucky to be living in deer country. I can walk directly to my stand if I want to, but I usually drive my car up the lane and park so it's not as far to carry my gear.

The previous year, my husband and I scouted the timber to see if there was a good spot to place a deer stand just for me.

Seems I was always sitting on the ground, and I was ready to call it quits with deer hunting. I'd go, but never saw much of anything.

We found a really nice spot where no one wanted to hunt because they said it was too close to the road. I chose it because of the abundant deer rubs and trails.

The year before, I had to sit on a bucket all day and my back had been killing me, even after a short while. But, my brother-in-law found a good chair for me. It was pretty comfortable, and I could settle in for a long sit.

It was such a beautiful day to be out in the timber. I could hear grunts from bucks as they were chasing the does.

I heard a big commotion to the east of my stand. It had to be bucks fighting. I couldn't hear antlers hitting, but I could tell they were pushing each other around. I never saw a thing, but it sure was fun listening to them! 

That morning, I let several pass because of Missouri's four-point rule, and I never had a good shot at a doe either.

Later I heard our dogs barking, and I could tell my boys had come in from hunting for a while.

Around 10:30 I took a break, too. I'd outlasted them and was proud of it.

After lunch I went back out by myself because my husband decided to go to a football game.

Around 2:30 I heard something in the timber. It would walk a while then stop as if it was limping. Since I was facing the west and the sound was from the east, I had to turn around, which I did without detection.

Hunting Stories Wanted!Soon, a huge buck popped up over the hill from the timber into a clearing with another buck behind him.

I took aim with my old .30-30 with 4-power scope and shot. It just stood there after the shot, so I shot again.

I was convinced I'd missed, but I never heard it again, so I decided to crawl down from my treestand and take a peek.

I walked to where I'd last seen the monster and looked around a bush. There it was, lying on its side!

I went to get my brother Bruce for help. He was about a quarter-mile away. I told him I'd shot a huge 15-point buck and I needed his help because I couldn't even roll it over to field dress it, and we might need my son Quentin's help too.

When we picked up Quentin, I said something about a tine being broke off, but he kept saying he figured I'd shot a big doe. I nudged Bruce and we both giggled.

We had to drive by the house and by then my husband was home from the football game. He and my uncle J.R. were sitting on the front deck. Bruce and I told them I'd shot a big doe and needed help, so Uncle J.R. brought his ATV around. He and Quentin went on ahead of us.

I'd told them they'd find my deer near where I'd marked the place with strips of Wal-Mart sacks.

When the rest of us arrived, my son was standing there in amazement.

"A doe, huh? Way to go, Mama!" Quentin said.

Later, as it hung from a tree to be skinned, we noticed someone had shot the buck in the leg and had hit an antler, too. So that's why it was limping around.

Bruce estimated its weight to be nearly 300 pounds.

Haw, boys! That's not bad for a 53-year old grandma!

Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!