From West Virginia Division of Natural Resources
-- The hunting and trapping regulations summary brochure for 2012-2013 is now available at all West Virginia hunting and fishing license agents, Division of Natural Resources district offices, the Elkins Operation Center and South Charleston Headquarters.
It is also available online at http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/hunting_regs.shtm.
Significant changes include:
* Statewide archery deer season opens Sept. 29 and runs through Dec. 31.
* Statewide archery bear season opens earlier. The season is split, and includes Sept. 29 to Nov. 17, and Dec. 3 to 31.
* Ten WV counties or portions of counties have special antlerless deer regulations. For these 10 counties, archery deer hunters will be required to take an antlerless deer during the archery deer season prior to harvesting a second antlered deer during the archery deer season. In addition, buck firearms season hunters will be required to take an antlerless deer during the antlerless firearms season prior to harvesting a second antlered deer during the buck firearms season.
* Black bear firearms hunting seasons include nine counties open from Sept. 24 to 26; 12 counties open from Sept. 24 – 29; 8 counties open from Nov. 19 to Dec. 1 during buck firearms season; with all 55 counties open Dec. 3 to 31. The daily bag limit is one bear and season limit is two bears, provided at least one bear comes from Boone, Fayette, Kanawha, Logan, McDowell, Mingo, Raleigh or Wyoming counties.
* Fall wild turkey hunting season expands this year with 15 counties open Oct. 13 to 20; 7 counties open Oct. 13 to 20, and Oct. 29 to Nov. 3, with 14 counties open Oct. 13 - 20, and Oct. 29 to Nov. 17.
* Beginning Jan. 1, the new Apprentice Hunting and Trapping Licenses for West Virginia residents (Class AH or AHJ) and non-residents (Class AAH or AAHJ) will be available to those individuals who have never had a valid base hunting/trapping license. Prior completion of a hunter safety training course will not be required to purchase an Apprentice Hunting and Trapping License; however, holders of one of these licenses must be accompanied and directly supervised by a licensed adult hunter.
The Apprentice Hunting and Trapping licenses can only be purchased online at www.wvhunt.com.