Register  | Login

Current Articles | Search | Syndication

Leftover Arizona javelina, turkey, bear permits available

From the Arizona Game and Fish Department

-- Everybody loves leftovers, and hunters interested in pursuing a springtime harvest can now apply for one of the remaining javelina, Merriam's turkey and bear permits.
There are many spring hunts to choose from and the Game and Fish Department will issue limited permits to applicants on a first-come, first-served basis.

Even though there are thousands of tags left from the spring draw, the popular hunts conveniently located to metro areas or best known for their hunt success will go quickly.

For those interested in hunting javelina, there are permits remaining for every hunt type including:

* Archery-only javelina, Jan. 1-20 
* Juniors-only javelina, Jan. 21-30 
* H.A.M. (handgun, archery and muzzleloader) javelina, Feb. 4-13 
* General (rifle) javelina, Feb. 18-24

Spring turkey gobbler permits remaining will put hunters in excellent turkey country when the gregarious birds are displaying their courting rituals of strutting and gobbling, including:

* Juniors-only spring turkey (limited weapon shotgun shooting shot), Apr. 15-21 and May 6-19 
* General spring turkey (limited weapon shotgun shooting shot), seasons vary starting April 22 and closing May 19

For those adventurous archery hunters, test your skills hunting spring bear in a handful of popular units during the Archery-only spring bear season April 29 - July 31.

Leftover hunt permit-tags can be obtained two ways.

* Mailed application: After Nov. 29 Game and Fish is accepting applications by mail only in the same way as the regular drawing process. Completed applications must be sent by U.S. mail to: Arizona Game and Fish Department, Attn: Drawing Section, PO Box 74020, Phoenix, AZ 85087-1052.

* Walk in: After Dec. 6, leftover tags are also available for purchase in person from any of the seven Arizona Game and Fish Department offices. There are offices in Phoenix, Pinetop, Flagstaff, Kingman, Yuma, Tucson and Mesa. For addresses and a map of Game and Fish offices, visit

To apply, hunters will need to get the four-digit hunt number from the listing of leftover tags, the 2011 Spring Turkey, Javelina, Buffalo and Bear Hunt Draw Information booklet (regulations), and the Hunt Permit/Tag Application form which are all available at

The spring hunt regulations and application forms can be obtained from any license dealer. For those who qualify, there are military hunts available at Camp Navajo; for information, call (928) 773-3274.

Hunters are reminded they will need a 2011 hunting license to apply. Licenses can be purchased through the application process, at Game and Fish offices and website, or at more than 300 license dealers statewide.

Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!