From Indiana Department of Natural Resources
-- A package of changes to deer hunting rules effective for the 2012 season have been approved the Natural Resources Commission. None of the changes will be in effect this year.
The rule changes include:
* Creating a crossbow license and authorizing its use during the entire archery season;
* Extending the archery season without interruption from Oct. 1 through the first Sunday in January;
* Extending the urban zone season from Sept. 15 through Jan. 31;
* Requiring hunters in urban zones to harvest an antlerless deer before harvesting an antlered deer;
* Establishing a special antlerless season from Dec. 26 through the first Sunday in January in designated counties;
* Adding the non-resident youth licenses and a new deer license bundle;
* Requiring display of hunter orange on occupied ground blinds; and
* Extending the rifle cartridge length that can be used in the firearm season to 1.8 inches.
The changes must be approved by the attorney general, governor and published in the Indiana Register before taking effect.