From Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism
-- All Kansas spring turkey hunters are reminded that immediately after taking a turkey, the permit holder must sign the carcass tag and record on it the county, date and time of kill, then attach the carcass tag to the bird in a visible manner before moving it from the kill site.
However, a bird maybe dressed for transport if the hunter obtains a transportation confirmation number after electronically registering the turkey on the agency’s website or the hunter permittee has retained photographs necessary for electronic registration until registration occurs.
Register online at https://programs.ksoutdoors.com/Programs/Electronic-Turkey-Check-in.
During spring season, only turkeys with a visible beard may be taken. The beard of the turkey must remain naturally attached to the breast while in transit from the kill site to the hunter’s residence or for processing or preservation.
Electronic registration can be done using a camera-reading cell phone. This is not a telephone registration system, and it is not required. The system allows KDWPT staff to see the turkey and the hunter’s completed tag without the time and expense of maintaining a check station. The flexibility benefits both the hunter and the department.
The system allows the permit holder to upload two images of a just-killed turkey, making legal to transport the bird without the carcass tag attached. (At this time, the system does not work with certain cell phones.)
Here’s how it works:
1. Click the Check-in Turkey button at https://programs.ksoutdoors.com/Programs/Electronic-Turkey-Check-in.
2. Login to an existing account or create a new account. (Save this account information; it will be used for other purposes such as deer check-in and future special hunts.)
3. If you have created a new account, you will need to click Check-in Turkey again.
4. Once logged in, fill out all the information requested.
5. Upload two photos of the turkey. One of the photos must be a close-up shot of the turkey tag attached to the turkey. The tag must be visible and filled out with the correct information. The second photo must be a view of the complete turkey with the tag attached and beard visible.
6. Once files appear, click the Submit button to finish.
7. Keep the confirmation number with the turkey tag.