From Arkansas Game and Fish
-- Commissioners from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission recently renamed the Madison County Wildlife Management Area to honor the previous owners of the land.
The McIlroy family of Fayetteville owned about 15,000 acres in the county where the WMA is now located. The area will be known as the McIlroy Madison County WMA.
During the 1940s, 55 deer from Wisconsin and Sylamore, Ark., were released on the property. In 1957 the AGFC purchased just over 7,500 acres from the McIlroy family at a cost of $10 per acre. The current WMA boundaries are almost exclusively within the original 15,000 acres owned by the McIlroys.
The area is typical rugged Ozark Mountain terrain with steep mountains and hollows. Elevations range from 1,100 to over 1,600 feet above mean sea level. The area is extensively forested in upland hardwood and shortleaf pine timber stands.
Many small streams on the area are tributaries of the nearby Kings River which skirts the WMA's eastern boundary.