Register  | Login

Current Articles | Search | Syndication

Applications open for Idaho controlled hunts

From Idaho Fish and Game

-- The application period for Idaho's fall deer, elk, pronghorn, fall black bear and fall turkey controlled hunts is now open and runs through June 5.

Fish and Game biologists may ask the Commission during its May 19 meeting to reduce the number of available controlled hunt deer tags in some areas that have suffered higher than normal over-winter losses.

Biologists plan to recommend that the commission reduce the number of controlled hunt deer tags available in antlerless and either-sex controlled deer hunts in hunt numbers 1047, 1049, 1050, 1051 in Game Management Units 22, 31, 32, and 32A in the Weiser River and Brownlee areas; and hunt numbers 1062, 1063 and 1064 in Game Management Units 60, 60A, 61, 62 and 62A in the Island Park area.

The number of tags available in these hunts may be reduced substantially from the number listed in the 2011 big game rules brochure. Hunters interested in applying for a tag in these areas may wish to wait until after the May 19 commission meeting to determine whether they are still interested in applying for these hunts after tag numbers have been adjusted.

At the conclusion of the May commission meeting a news release and the Fish and Game website will announce any changes in permit levels for all these hunts.

Controlled hunt applicants may change their application at any time before the close of the application period on June 5.

Hunters may apply for controlled hunts at any hunting and fishing license vendor, at a Fish and Game office or with a credit card by calling (800)554-8687, or online at

An additional fee is charged for telephone and online applications. Hunters must have a 2011 Idaho hunting license to apply.

Harvest statistics and drawing odds for controlled hunts are available on the Idaho Fish and Game Website at and in the Idaho Hunt Planner. Hunters can use harvest statistics and drawing odds from the past 10 years to compare to similar controlled hunts for this year.

Depredation Hunt Applications

Depredation hunt applications run thorough June 30. Applications that come in after June 30 are added to the list but have little chance of being selected.

Applicants must have a valid Idaho hunting or combination license. Depredation hunts, if needed, are usually held on short notice, in small areas and involve only a few hunters. Hunters may apply in only one region for a given species.

For more information and an application form check pages 76 and 77 in the big game rule book or online at

Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!