Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

The rut
Last Post 10 Dec 2009 06:04 AM by chadschmidt. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Big Buck Down
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Oct 2007 09:22 PM  
Do you think that it would be a good idea to use a decoy, a grunt call and to rattle during the rut. Were I hunt at I have a pond, a thicket were i know they are bedding at and they are coming straight out of a place were nobody can hunt at. I've seen on a lot of hunting movies that people like using decoys and blind calling. I was just wanting to know if you all think that might work because i have been chasing a giant for 2 years now and i cant seem to get him out of the thicket because i hunt in the open were the pond is and he wont come out till dark.
huntininmissouri
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Nov 2007 04:07 AM  
give it a try!just be safe using a decoy and carrying it in and out
Howard
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 Nov 2007 12:07 AM  
I would check with your state's game laws to see if it's legal to use decoys. If that area you're talking about is private land(the pond) make a food plot to get hime eating out of it. Again, check your laws and see if feeders are legal to draw him out.

If he's a monster buck then a rattle bag and/or grunt just might work. During the rut you may also want to use a doe bleat or fawn bleat to draw in a doe that might have the buck on her trail.

Good luck, and be safe.
Big Buck Down
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Nov 2007 01:42 AM  

What is the best scents for the rut that you have used I heard about that new product. She stands he etempts to breed and we bottle it. Standing something. It comes in like a coke bottle type deal. It's $30.

kerry larson
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Nov 2008 04:18 PM  
I have used tinks 69 and others scents from tinks the drippers and they work real well more then once have i found my scent dripper ripped from the tree and the branch it is hanging on busted from the deer.
rnwinter
6 Point
6 Point

--
04 Nov 2008 03:31 PM  
I'm a big fan of changing up your hunting pattern. If you hunt only weekends, make it a point to go during the middle of the week. If that isn't possible, come later and stay during the middle of day. Deer get used to things that happen on a regular basis. It is almost a certianty that vastly more deer see you coming and going to your stand than you will ever notice. Virtually 80% of all deer taken during a season are taken the first weekend of rifle season.....that being said, it is reasonable to conclude that they have learned to go to ground when the first shots start ringing out.

Because of this I generally have two hunting patterns...one pre-rifle, the other post-rifle. Their patterns are going to change so I make sure mine does too. One thing you might try, if its possible, is to get some night vision and/or a camera and set it up near the thicket. See if you can tell by the time stamp which way he is going and when. This might help you set up your ambush better. You might also consider getting there an hour or two earlier than usual and walk the trail and use a drag scent that veers off towards your stand....possibly he may follow it out. If you did it early enough, you may catch him near your stand at first light, following the scent trail. Wish I could help more. Good luck!
brumie
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
08 Nov 2008 03:04 AM  
ive used all three a time or two..had my decoy tore up by a big buck once.  dont be to agressive with the rattle, tends to make them nervous sometimes.  I use wall hanger scents...had many bucks follow the same trail i came in on with their nose to the ground.  they have dominant buck lure, doe in heat urine, doe in estrous.  i havent found anything better so far.
fireman18
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
10 Dec 2009 06:04 AM  

it is muzzel loader season in michigan, and other than opening day of gun season, i have not seen any bucks.....i did my scouting early on and have pics of nice bucks, but still havent seen any during my hunts...any suggestion?

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!