G'Day Folks!!
Last Post 04 Dec 2008 01:50 AM by Dobber. 13 Replies.
Author Messages
busted
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
09 Nov 2008 01:26 AM  
Just thought I'd stop in and say  I'm still alive. Haven't been huntin' yet. Just to busy. Hopefully we'll have corn done in the next two weeks and then I'll have some time to hit the woods. It shouldn't hurt the huntin' either due to the fact that there is so much standing corn in the area you couldn't pattern the deer anyway.  Been reading the posts and it sounds like everyone is doing fine both in health and in the outdoors. Anyway best of luck to everyone.
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
10 Nov 2008 01:11 PM  
That sucks , but I guess it`s the price you have to pay when you`re a cash crop farmer , my land owner has the same problem corn still has too much moisture . Best of luck at getting the crops in and hunting as well.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
10 Nov 2008 04:13 PM  
seen lots of crops being taken off this past weekend, till the rain started that was. Loads of deer still in the corn as well, buddies of mine saw a real dandy just beside a corn field, not a stick of bush to be seen for a while. Think that was around the London area, them boys should be doing alright this week during the muzzle load hunt
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
10 Nov 2008 07:04 PM  
It`s bow right now in St Thomas and area , seen my big boy this morn @ 10 about 1/2 mile from where he was roaming in Oct. and he has a girlfriend , they were in a ravine only 60 yds from the road did`nt see them until they were trotting away .
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
10 Nov 2008 08:23 PM  
yeah i think the muzzle loader is open around Dorchester

Is there much land around St Thomas for hunting? i need some closer spots and at least thats less than 2 hours
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
11 Nov 2008 01:40 AM  
lots of nice areas around but I don`t know about getting permission to hunt lots of people aren`t too keen on bow hunting , or they don`t want anybody on their land.
busted
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
11 Nov 2008 02:28 AM  
We're starting corn tomorrow. It's been shotgun season since last Mon. (3) and runs till this Sunday (16). Very few deer shot last week. Just too warm. I've got some real nice bucks hitting my fields on camera, usually starting around 7 pm. On Sat night there was a pic of a doe heading into the field. 40 min later a very large, very old buck is trailing her. His rack is very spindly and the pnts are only about 3-4 in long, but he would easily push 200-225 lbs.(dressed).  1hr 10min after him a real heavily racked 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 bruiser is right on the same trail nose down. This is the second pic I got of him. The first he's running a doe, neck stretched out and posturing. It's a real cool pic because both animals are in the pic. Since last Mon. (3) I've got 5 different shooters, 2 forkhorns and 4-6 different does on camera. If I were to listen to all the 'gunners', I'd have sold my bow a month ago. Needless to say, I don't share with them my pics. Otherwise, I'd need a traffic cop in my woods.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
11 Nov 2008 07:17 PM  
will be waiting till the snow i guess and hit some of the swamps around Dorchester, know a few spots that are public land, and my buddies place.
Will be out this Thursday at a buddies around here, hope the kid sticks one
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
30 Nov 2008 07:54 PM  
Well I got a doe , small but it`s meat . Bucks are still chasing does around here in London , had 1 push a doe to my stand before I was even ready , and around 315 a big doe came out to the field edge and was chased back in by a big buck , watched them run through the trees and then one ran right out to me so I got her to stop and shot 20 yds stupid arrow hit a small branch a couple yds in front deflected it right into the paunch , she only ran 30 yds and piled up , looked like it clipped a major artery b/c the deer didn`t have any blood left inside. How are you guys doing any luck?
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
01 Dec 2008 01:37 AM  
haven;t hunted since i have been back from Quebec, hope to get out a few times before the season is over though. Will need to do some eating to make room in the freezer though *L*
busted
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
02 Dec 2008 07:48 PM  
Congrat's ontarioben on the 'meat'. As for me, honestly I doubt I'll even get to take my bow out of the case. Haven't even had time to get it out to shoot target. I haven't shot it since April. That being said, I don't know if I want to get to hunt.  I don't know if I could draw clean in a cold stand, all bundled up. I'd rather that my trailcam gets them. At least I know that they're still there after the gunners and it gives me hope for next year.

Dobber, what were you huntin' in PQ?
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
02 Dec 2008 10:54 PM  
did the caribou hunt, would recomend it to everyone
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 Dec 2008 12:17 AM  
Worked for a guy in Quebec that got drawn for Caribou near LG-4 , he went in Nov. and darn near froze . He said the lodge was a single room with a wood stove in the middle and 10 - 20 hunters . He only got 1 and when he went to gut it was almost frozen stiff (-35 C). I was supposed to go but I couldn`t see myself freezing for any amount of meat.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
04 Dec 2008 01:50 AM  
we had great weather, coldest it got was about -15
Had pretty much all sunny days with a bit of wind coming off the froze lakes.
When it was time to wash my hands after cleaning one i had a water bottle sitting on the heater vent of the truck, was great to wash with warm water. Did use rubber gloves most of the time but forgot them on a couple i cleaned.

---
Active Forums 4.2