Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Black Bear problem
Last Post 02 Nov 2008 12:42 PM by Dobber. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
17 Oct 2008 01:07 PM  
I was talking with my mom last night and she was telling me that an adult bear was on her back porch standing up trying to get in. She lives in the Parry Sound area and I was wondering what, if anything could be done to try and rid her of her big problem? I`ve contacted the MNR but they didn`t give any viable solution that won`t end up costing thousands of dollars , one of their things was to hire someone to tranquilize and relocate , instead of actually doing the job themselves.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
20 Oct 2008 07:06 PM  
shoot it, plain and simple.
report it to the MNR to show a history of this bear, shoot it and call them, you will be issued a cert allowing you to keep the bear. I know several people who have had to do this in the city of Sudbury, and a few small towns kickin around.
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
20 Oct 2008 11:43 PM  
How`s it going Ian, long time no type. Have you started deer hunting yet? or are waiting for some cooler weather like everyone else .
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
21 Oct 2008 03:06 PM  
I will be doing a bit of deer hunting shortly, not sure how much i will get out with the bow until after the gun season. Hope to be hunting along the 401 coridor just past London.
Did the moose hunt, called in a few but nothing close enough or clear enough for a clean shot with the bow, heading to Quebec in Nov for caribou.
Lots of deer been taken so far this fall, and a few turkeys from friends.
Hope to sneak out for one last fish on Erie before putting the boat away, the perch are still biting pretty good.
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
22 Oct 2008 01:09 AM  
hunting in Dorchester this year? I`ve seen a little 6 point last Sat. but nothing else .
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
23 Oct 2008 03:03 PM  
My buddy has a place that backs along the 401, was by there yesterday actually he put me onto some public land out there as well. The only other place i have to hunt is 4 hours away, so this is only a 2 hour drive, hope to put some time in a stand sooner or later. Will be out this Saturday morning doing the youth hunt at Hillman Marsh just outside Wheatly. That cool snap should start to get the deer moving
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
23 Oct 2008 11:30 PM  
The rut is a startin` I missed a 170 incher this morning, both shots went over his back. Big bugger ducked both shots , first shot was 12 yds and the second was at 16 yds . I was in my stand 1 hour before daylight , jumped a couple on the way in , put out some Tinks made a scent trail and at legal shooting time gave a doe bleat and voila in came Mr. Big right from the field that I jumped them earlier he had his nose right to the ground checking out the trail I left him . This all happened before 730 , and the good thing is he didn`t blow when he casually walked away, so hopefully he comes back out in the morning. Later good luck and put it to them .
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
24 Oct 2008 12:53 AM  
least your gettin out and seein some, let me know when you knock him down, will meet for coffee and score him for you
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
24 Oct 2008 06:36 PM  
Well Ian it might be a while b/c the land owner`s cousin took a doe by my stand last night. I of course did`nt find out till this morning when I found the gut pile right on the deer trail. I`ll keep you posted.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
26 Oct 2008 01:56 PM  
oh jeeze that sucks, they could of at least dragged the deer further.
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
27 Oct 2008 02:28 AM  
Well , the cousins got a huge buck this morning across the road , helped track it for a little bit, they eventually found it though. 13 point with a 6 inch droptine lucky ass got him at 730 .
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
27 Oct 2008 03:51 PM  
sounds like a great one for sure
Your around the St Thomas area if i remember right?
Could win a prize next spring at the Tilbury big buck and bull show
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
27 Oct 2008 11:22 PM  
the guy who shot it is from the Chatham area.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
28 Oct 2008 06:47 PM  
might hear about it at the gun club out there then, and likely see it at the show next spring.
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Oct 2008 02:34 AM  
The weather is finally getting cold and the chase is on , had a doe run right at me at noon time today she was panting like a dog on a hot summer day but no buck . Supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow so it might be a good time to intercept that big boy in the field feeding.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
30 Oct 2008 01:48 AM  
won't be out till Monday morning with the shotgun, will likely be out for another duck hunt Saturday morning though
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
30 Oct 2008 01:24 PM  
Well does were feeding but the buck stayed just inside the treeline and they didn`t show up until 6 pm (does) 645 (buck) it would have been too late and too far anyways if he stepped out. Good luck with ducks and smoke pole hunting.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
31 Oct 2008 01:49 PM  
should be a good morning, been cool all week and should of brought down some northern birds
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
02 Nov 2008 01:09 AM  
Well Ian, I saw the biggest 4 point that I ever laid my eyes on. I rattled him in tonight, he walked in 300 yds stopping every 50 or so but when he got 150 yds away he just turned to the trees and left. At first I thought is was my big boy b/c he`s wide and tall but as he got closer I noticed he only had forks on both sides , rough estimate 20 inches wide , main beams stretch out past his nose , and the tines are 10 inches or more , plus he looked like he has considerable mass all the way out the beam.
My heart was pumping at the possibility of shooting this buck and even after he vanished I was still excited b/c I was hoping he would reappear closer. The bucks are starting to scrape field edges and traveling more during daylight hours so crossing fingers , toes and any other body part that can cross .
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
02 Nov 2008 12:42 PM  
would love to see that big guy, nothing better than a large scoring buck without too many tines, that deer will win you something at the show past Chatham next spring, they do largest deer by 4 point, 6, 8, 10.
Did good yesterday at Hillman, got my limit of ducks, now packing up and will be driving past your place sometime around 11 to pick up my old man in Oakville and then head up to the farm for set up for the morning.
Good luck on them and thats what everyone has been saying, the bucks are big time active
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!