Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

How's your season going?
Last Post 02 Feb 2008 06:34 PM by Dobber. 28 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
busted
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Nov 2007 03:02 AM  
I'm asking the question here because, I don't think it's a fair comparison between up here in Ont as it may be in southern Alabama. I strickly bowhunt (even during gun season) and even though it opened Oct 1, because I dairy farm I never get to hunt until the time change. I can then go hunt and be back to milk around 6 pm and I never get to hunt the am. Anyway, I've logged about 8 hours in the wood so far. Saw my first deer tonight at about 5:10. To dark to tell what it was. I could hear it coming but it had to come in to less than 20 yds before I could even see it. I waited till about 5:30 before trying to climb down and still got busted. Walked out to the tractor (20 min walk), which was parked at the edge of the woods at hte end of a 30 acre hay field and got busted by another deer that was out in the field. Had no idea it was there ,too dark. Hope you guys are having better luck.  
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
25 Nov 2007 06:16 PM  
Hey Busted, I hunt in Elgin county and I was somewhat lucky to get a nice 8 pointer about a month ago but I lost 45% of the meat due to the extreme fluctuations in the temps also it had been hit by a car so there was alot spoilage from bruising and heat through meat. Then last weekend I was sitting in my stand just as legal light was appearing and kaboom!!! some %^^&*(^ is sighting in their gun for the upcoming blackpowder hunt, I mean it`s satuday morning at 7am and it continues for most of the day a combo of bp and 22 cal , and if that wasn`t enough a bloody coyote crossed right where the deer usually come out of, last Sunday wasn`t any better I was sitting nice and quiet and noticed deer movement when all of a sudden you guessed it kaboom!! some other jackass thinks it`s ok to be shooting into the woods during bow season, contacted the MNR but I got the same crap I got couple yrs ago about it being fine to sight-in on Sundays, but it`s illegal to bow hunt for rabbits or coons during bp season. Any way I`m sitting inside today bc some bright turd in Queens park decided to re-write the open/end of ML to include Sunday even though they cannot hunt on Sunday, deer get a day off. Talk to you later on hopefully success is in your near future, hunt safe, remember it`s not the kill that counts it`s the enjoyment of being out in nature.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
27 Nov 2007 03:08 PM  
our gun hunt in Nov got us a nice 14 point, main frame 9 with kickers. Should score around 160ish
loads of deer been taken in Ontario this year that should make it a banner year for horns. Got one show to do on Dec 11 in Wheatly, then get ready for all the big buck shows next year, have tape will travel.
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
28 Nov 2007 02:28 AM  
Hey Dobber, got pics of the buck , anyway another round of bow season this week and then the last of the smoke show for this year. I sure hope that it turns a little cooler than what it has been and hopefully it snows just a bit, can`t stand all this bloody rain, deer aren`t moving as well.
busted
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
06 Dec 2007 06:52 PM  
Is this cold enough for ya Ontarioben??  My thermometer said -21*C last night @ 11:45pm and guess where I was this am. Should have stayed in bed. Saw nothing. I did hunt on the 30th in the snow and ice storm. Thought they would be moving pre-storm. Not. Went in on the 3rd (post-storm) to check trail cams, but there was no pics or tracks in snow. This morning however there were alot of  tracks  and alot were on my scent trail to the stand I hunted on the 30th. In fact, 'he'  walked step for step right up to where i'd hung the scent, then back tracked me to my stand, made a huge scrape at the base of it and ******!!!. I came out this am @ 10:20, Checked one of my cams on the way and I got a pic of him on it. He's a dandy. The pic was @ 3:53 am yesterday, and from the array of tracks, the does are moving now as well. Problem is, I won't be able to hunt till Sunday now. I guess, if it were easy, we'd all have TV shows 
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
07 Dec 2007 02:08 AM  
I got a ? here in WMU 92 the rule book has the season for muzzleloader from Mon Dec 3- Sun Dec 9 inclusif but they rule was not passed for Sunday gun hunting so can I legally bow hunt on Sunday? By the way I hunted last Sat. saw a doe about 5 mins after arriving only problem was she crossed my trail 100yds away and low and behold the buck followed a couple mins later , snowed over night went out Sun. morning got to my stand it started to freezing rain, waited it out went for a walk found that the deer travelled during the storm so I went home to dry off. Went back out at 3 pm saw two deer at ~ 200 yds and two turkeys , one of the birds was pretty lame she kept falling when she scratched the snow ,she got within 10 yds of my pop-up before flying up to roost. Other than that I might have to play hooky from work so I can get another day in the woods. Hopefully the deer move a little more during the day can`t shoot if they only fly by night.
busted
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Dec 2007 06:56 PM  
Good ? OB. In 68, we get the first 2 wks of Nov. SG or ML only. Up until this year the gunners weren't allowed to hunt Sunday so I've always hunted the Sunday between the two weeks with my bow and no orange. I would still use my bow during that period only stipulation was I had to wear orange. This year they could bang away but I just 'coloured up'
Reading the '07 reg's it states in 92 that archery only is from the 10th on, but the way I would interpret was if your municipality is 'no gun Sundays', then use the bow. The season is still open, it's just the weapon is in question. That's a tough one to figure out and I hope you have better luck than I do with getting a real MNR person to ask.
BTW, checked my cam this am and got 10 new pics of the big lad I had come in Wed. He was there @ 10.30pm lat night and again at 3 am this morn. He's hungry so hopefully he just adjusts his dinner hours.
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
08 Dec 2007 02:28 AM  
Looks like you`ve got to put out some stink bait for the night to try and get the big boy to show up during the daylight hours. Good luck with the rest of the season, btw called distric office today and was told that it is not legal to bowhunt this Sunday because it is allocated to the muzzleloader only season, also asked about people discharging firearms during the bow only season and the lady said that too is illegal but unfortunately nothing can really be done bc there are not enough officers to police all complaints in other words don`t bother us with petty things like this.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
08 Dec 2007 09:07 PM  
lots of snow further up north, buddies of mine are using the snow mobiles to help create travel routes. Hope to get out to Cornwall for a hunt either before or after Christmas, think that might be my last chance this year, then its turkey time in April
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 Dec 2007 01:55 AM  
Ian you wouldn`t happen to have a list of turkey seminars, went onto the OFAH website but they don`t have it posted yet. I would like to try some turkey hunting next spring , of course I`ll have my work cut out bc I only have a bow and a X-bow. Went to the Windsor area today and was surprised to see little - no snow but I did see a nice buck around mm 80 near Tilbury looked like a real heavy 8 with deep chocolate rack it was at 8 am so it seems there moving during the mornings anyways , best of luck in the last few weeks guys and have fun , remember it`s not only the kill that matters, but it`s the experiences while afield that keep us going back for more.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
09 Dec 2007 02:18 AM  
should of let me know, could of met up for a coffee. Will keep an eye out for it and let you know, will be hitting the turkeys pretty hard this spring, my son will have his own license this year so i don;t have to share. Going to try to get one with the bow myself, bought a ground blind just for that.

You should try to head to Wheatly on Tuesday evening for the big buck and bull show, should be some dandys and some real good door prizes.

Big Rack Night & Christmas RaffleDecember 11th at the Wheatley Legion:

7:00 p.m. Big Rack Contest (2007 deer and moose- free to enter) for club members only. However, If you have a nice Deer or Moose rack you wish to show and are not a member….. simply join. It is only $15.00 to join if you are a OFAH member. Prize for:Typical Whitetail 2007 Non-Typical 2007 Moose 2007. $2000 in raffle prizes!!!! tickets for the raffle cost $20/ ten. Open to the public. Don’t miss out on the fun!Please do not confuse this event to our now- March 1 2008 Big Buck & Bull Day.- mark that down on your Calendar

ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
09 Dec 2007 08:32 PM  
Sorry Ian can`t make it Tues. my daughter has a rehearsal for her X-Mas concert .
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
16 Dec 2007 04:27 PM  
WELL IT`S SNOWING OUT, CAN`T SEE A HUNDRED YDS DOWN THE ROAD, NOT SO GOOD TO HUNT IN YOU GET SOAKED BY JUST WALKING TO YOUR STAND. BTW LOTS OF YOTES WANDERING LATELY SEEN THREE YESTERDAY MORNING AT THE GROUND BLIND I SET UP THEN I WENT TO ANOTHER LOCATION AND HAD A DOE AND TWO YEARLINGS PLAYING. BEDDING AND WANDERING WITHIN 80 YDS FOR 2 HOURS. NOTHING TO SHOW FOR FREEZING IN MY STAND ALL MORNING.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
17 Dec 2007 02:30 AM  
let me know if you want rid of them yotes? got a 14 yr old with a 6.5 x 55 that wants to shoot stuff *L*
Am hoping to get out for one last bow hunt before the end of the year myself. Saw pics of a huge monster of a deer that was hit by a car near Dryden, its on an Ontario forum (Ontario trophy bucks)
busted
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Dec 2007 08:24 PM  
OB, don't cuss the snow too much!! From Thursday at 1 pm untill Monday at 1:30 I've had 98 pics on one cam and 226, yep 226 on another. I've identified 4 new bucks, all good shooters, and up until the 16th there were no daytime pics. Since the snow on Sunday (16th) I've got at least forty pics between the two cams all during good hunting light. The does have all but disappeared and the bucks are herding up it seems. Got one pic with 3 bucks together, 2 shooters and a forkhorn. Hopefully I can get out Thursday or Friday.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
18 Dec 2007 08:33 PM  
let us know what time to show up busted, still got a tag or two kickin around *L*
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
19 Dec 2007 12:27 AM  
I was driving for work and I saw four yotes in the fields in the middle of the day, they`re getting ballsy or hungry either or. Also seen lots of deer tracks in the fields as well, right in Delaware there was so many tracks and paw marks that there wasn`t a spot in the two acre plot that wasn`t trounched through. Hey Busted what time did they pass your cam?
Talked to mom yesterday and she said the deer up in the Parry Soud area are starting to drop their antlers, don`t you think it`s a little early or does it go by weather and severity of the cold?
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
19 Dec 2007 03:11 PM  
got pics of deer already dropping their horns, this cold spell we had up there really got them dropping early.
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
20 Dec 2007 12:36 AM  
Not too many days left now and of course I`m not feeling too good I`ve got a head cold , coughing, headaches, and feeling weak all over. I might be able to get out the last weekend of the deer season and then I might do some yote hunting. I was talking to a fellow hunter in Strathroy and he was saying that he had a yote sneak up on him and actually stick his nose to the nape of his neck(he was leaning up against a tree), how scary is that ?, seems like they have no fear of humans anymore.
Dobber
8 Point
8 Point

--
20 Dec 2007 07:26 PM  
would agree they are getting braver

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!