Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

Question about Turkey Hunting
Last Post 13 Apr 2008 11:52 PM by mcraddock. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Buckmaster
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
10 Apr 2008 04:13 AM  
I have a Mossberg 500 with a 3'' chamber. I have never done anything hunting with it and want to get out Saturday for opening day of Turkey Season but I am not sure of a good size shell to use. Friday I want to go shoot and see how it patterns at different yardage. Where I will be hunting the longest shot I think I will be able to make is under 35 yards. All help will be appreciated!!!
cchunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
10 Apr 2008 01:15 PM  
You should try different things, since the payload would be the biggest I would start with a three inch shell. It also depends on the choke that you are using. In the standard full choke of my gun I get around nine hits in the head and neck @ 37 yards or so. All guns shoot differently so you have to try different patterns, i would reccomend trying 5s or 6s first though, just a higher pellect count to put together a good combo in a small amount of time.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
11 Apr 2008 03:05 AM  
I had a Mossberg 500 and I tried 3" #4 with a extra full choke.I could not shoot it very much with the turkey loads,the recoil was very bad.It was a dream to shoot with duck loads.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
slawman
8 Point
8 Point

--
12 Apr 2008 01:33 PM  
Many turkey huntin' fanatics spend a small fortune on chokes and different shells looking for the ultimate pattern. At which point you have to ask the question, Am I trying to kill ants with a sledge hammer. find a shell that your satisfied with the pattern YOUR gun throws and go with it. know your limits cause a turkey will definetly impose them on you. GOOD LUCK !
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
13 Apr 2008 11:52 PM  
For now I would just use the full choke tube and #6 shot in 3". See how it patterns at 30 yards and decide if that will work for now. It takes alot of shooting to properly pattern a turkey gun. If your season is already in like ours, then you don't have that kind of time and aftermarket choke tubes are sold out on all the store shelves. So just do the best with what you got, and build next years turkey gun during the off-season.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!