Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
does anyone groundhog hunt?
Last Post 20 May 2008 07:09 PM by SHADOW HUNTER. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ryan
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Feb 2008 07:31 PM  
I started hunting groundhogs about 2 or 3 years ago.Their considered varmints in ohio where i hunt and live. my grandpa and I always hunted them with shotguns and .22 lr .I would like to know if a hollow point or solid .22LR bullet  which is best?
There are no strangers here,just friends we haven't met!
sarge
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Feb 2008 08:21 PM  
if your hoping to keep them critters from making their way back down their hole then go with a hollow point.
dec67
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
25 Feb 2008 09:41 PM  
i'd use hollow point to help get your point across
Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
26 Feb 2008 12:54 AM  
Those things can be tougher than nails sometimes so if you are going to use hollow points I would make sure you got some good ones. I get the cheap ones for plinking but you may want to get ones that have a higher velocity than average (hyper velocity or super high velocity) to make sure you get good penetration. If you have a semi-auto put a hyper velocity behind a few of the cheap ones and rattle them off and you will tell a BIG difference!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
Olsplittoe
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
26 Feb 2008 01:06 AM  
Back when I lived in TX I went up to the panhandle to a little town called Texline where they have a treable problem with pdogs. I used a Browning 22-250 and Horndy ballistic tips. Man I mean to tell you on a good hit it looked like you put a fire craker up where the sun don't shine. Deff use a aleast  a hollow point. Our shots ranged from 150 to as much as 483 yards.  If you got a bad problem with them (many targets) it pays to have a spotter and a good pair of X50s.
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
26 Feb 2008 01:13 AM  
Prairie dogs don't have the thick skull and pelt like the big daddy versions.
jbarr
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
27 Feb 2008 11:50 PM  
i would use hollow points but u still have to shot them in the head if you dont want them to get back in their hole.
slayer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
03 Apr 2008 10:47 PM  
What Jbarr said is right use CCI Stingers their the fastest 22 ammo in production still though I only shot one 'chuck that wasn't hit in the head that didnt get away. If you really want to have some fun get a dog or sneak up to em real close and chase em theyll run right up a tree(thats right up a tree their cousins are squirrels) and then you just shoot em out of the tree.
GONE HUNTIN'!
Tom Sinnott
6 Point
6 Point

--
04 Apr 2008 12:47 AM  
LOL I was walking through the woods one day squirrel hunting with my brother and we both saw and said "Groundhog" at the same time and that little sucker looked at us from about 30-40 yards and charged. Scared the hell out of me for about a second and then I remembered I had my 1100 in my hand. He made it about 10 yards from us when he met his maker... Ever since then I don't think I would have it in me to chase them... haha Good times that can only happen when you are in the woods!!!
stubs
6 Point
6 Point

--
05 Apr 2008 06:06 AM  
i used solid up until we finaly started hittin em but we could never kill them with even 5 or 6 shots so i use hollow now
go BSU!!!!!
SHADOW HUNTER
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 May 2008 07:09 PM  
Id use a hollow point. I use a encore 22-250.it is perfict for long distences
IF YOU CANT PLAY WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!