Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Coyote Hunting??????
Last Post 22 Jan 2008 11:01 PM by randyandheather_b. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Buck_Master_Fan
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Nov 2007 12:54 AM  
Hey guys i have never been coyote hunting.  I want to go but i dont no what kind of rifle cal to use.  Would a 7mm work.  If you guys could help me i would really appreciate it
jkoehler
Forum Moderator
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
30 Nov 2007 04:15 PM  
Was not hunting coyotes but I popped on just today my 270 worked great. I think also a 243 would be a good one too
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.'
Cornfed
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
30 Nov 2007 06:23 PM  
Any caliber .223 or .243 and above.  If you are trying not to tear them up to bad use .243.
busted
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
01 Dec 2007 02:41 AM  
Killed one on Wed.  @ about 80 yds, good ol' Win 30-30. 
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
01 Dec 2007 03:16 AM  
I never went just hunting coyotes,shot one last week with my 7mm.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
01 Dec 2007 12:27 PM  
well if your gonna save the fur,223,22-250,220 swift,222 Rem mag to name justa few calibers,if your not going to save the pelts just shoot them with what ever is handy at the moment
secondchance
6 Point
6 Point

--
02 Dec 2007 12:59 AM  
Posted By btr568 on 12/01/2007 6:27 AM
well if your gonna save the fur,223,22-250,220 swift,222 Rem mag to name justa few calibers,if your not going to save the pelts just shoot them with what ever is handy at the moment

YEP!
John 316
Dakota Danny
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 Dec 2007 07:28 AM  
BTR has it right on the nose. A larger caliber will work.. it will just take some stitching to make it look like an animal once the taxidermist is done!

A couple tips I've learned from hunting them:

1. when calling always start with a short mouse squeak. That way if one is within 100 yards of where you are, you don't blow them away with a loud howl call
2. If you are using a howl call, listen to the tape or instruction dvd. If you can't see it, but you hear him/her respond, keep your eyes moving around you. They will commonly reply from 12 o'clock, then circle around to 6 o'clock to get your scent.
3. If you ever pop one in a group, get on the call (practice this first). You want to make an injured dog sound. The others will stop out of curiousity, giving you opportunity. Don't stop the yipping call until they are long gone. History has shown some will come back in after getting out of sight. If you think you're doing this call, imagine stepping on a dog's tail...that painful cry they make...yup that's it.

4. camoflage everything. if these guys have been hunted in your area, they are VERY shy.
dec67
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Dec 2007 04:53 AM  
17 hmr does the job just fine out to 100 is as far as i've done it so far
Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
varmintkiller24
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Dec 2007 09:17 AM  
you got some good advice but one subject that wasnt exactly stressed is what type of terrain ur calling in fields dense brush forest but if not keeping the pelt it doesnt matter i just wouldnt use a deer rifle or anything like that amo is cheaper with less caliber i have always used a 22 caliber doesnt matter 22 r or whatever but if keeping the pelt if u use a 22 make sure ur a pretty good shot and hit him in the head ive killed many this way and not had to worry about stitching much i have also used shot gun in dense brush because alot of times hell come in running fast right to you or by you but in closing i prefer a 22 with any varmint hunting sorry my computer typing skills arent great so hope you understand my father uses dental floss for stitching i have come a fan of it too sounds crazy but i know quite a few people using it now .
secondchance
6 Point
6 Point

--
22 Dec 2007 04:13 AM  
All very good advice, I used to hunt them for bonty.
John 316
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
26 Dec 2007 09:30 AM  
.22 WMR if I have my choice. Popped three this week. First one was with my 30-06, lung shot so little damage. However, second two I shot with my 7mm Rem mag and it hit the shoulder on one. Now I got a hole the size of a dollar bill to repair on that pelt. Overkill, but I was hunting deer at the time.
jbarr
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Jan 2008 09:05 PM  
a lot of guns will work like .17hmr, .223, .204, .243, 22-250 ect. that is just some of the guns we use.
dec67
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
16 Jan 2008 09:14 PM  
head shot a couple this year with my 30-06
Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
randyb
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Jan 2008 11:01 PM  
I have shot them with my shotgun using # 5 shot. it will get'em out to 35 - 40 yards using my super turkey choke. Me personaly I am buying a 204 this summer for next years pred. season.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!