Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
i need some advice
Last Post 04 Nov 2008 03:14 PM by rnwinter. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bubba
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Oct 2008 10:22 PM  
i was wanting to know if some of yall could give me some advice. ive been deer hunting this woods for the past 3 years off and on and i know that there are some monster bucks out there. the only problem is that my woods butts up with another property that i cant hunt or no one else can.  my problem is that im seein several little bucks but none of the monsters that ive seen out in the feild on the other property. ive done calling before and only get the little bucks to come in. any advice on how i might be able to get one or more of the biggens on my side of woods.

thanks alot
josh
sublime9787
6 Point
6 Point

--
23 Oct 2008 12:29 AM  
unless for the future you can plant some food plots.. wait for the rut, deer will cover a lot of ground and can be juist about anywhere when they are chasing does.. good luck on one of those big ones!!
ontarioben
6 Point
6 Point

--
23 Oct 2008 01:03 AM  
I have the same problem Josh but I get to hunt both sides of this guy`s property. Couple years ago I saw four of the biggest bucks ever out in this neighboring field at mid morning and by noon time I saw them walking through the woods on my side so my advice would be to find a travel corridor from his side to your side and set up close to it and don`t be afraid to sit all day. During the rut bucks will travel a lot more
btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
24 Oct 2008 03:17 PM  
Salt lick,salt lick.......pour 2 bags of loose salt on the ground,then stick a Trophy Rock in the middle of it.I don't get to see them but they are licking the rock to death and digging a hole in my backyard right now.
Turkulese
6 Point
6 Point

--
29 Oct 2008 09:02 PM  
Corn, corn, corn... it's a little too late to be worrying about food plots unless you have a little time on the weekends. Plus, corn prices are down right now so stock up! Also, you might want to check your local game laws and make sure it's legal.

Corn may not bring in the monsters but it will the does... and the monsters will follow. Good luck!
btr568
6 Point
6 Point

--
30 Oct 2008 02:00 AM  
Or a 50/50 mix of corn and soy beans,beans are running way cheaper than corn right now
Turkulese
6 Point
6 Point

--
30 Oct 2008 02:32 AM  
You are right... plus soybeans are much more nutritious than corn. It'll help them put on a little fat which is important especially after the rut.
rnwinter
6 Point
6 Point

--
04 Nov 2008 03:14 PM  
In general the bigger, older buck will use younger bucks like shock troops, letting them roam out into potentially dangerous areas while they remain in cover, or stay bedded all day, moving only after full dark. An unhunted property can be both a difficulty and a blessing. If the property is large enough, it will take some strong enticing to get him to cross the boundaries simply because he has everything he needs right where he is at and is unmolested.

I would say that some of your best opportunities will come from enticing him with things that either challenge him, or are things that are mobile like does he will need to persue. Most grunt sounds have different sound settings. Try grunting with a level that offers a challenge to him that he needs to meet. Obviously using a younger buck setting won't work since there are plenty of those in his area anyway. Rattling may work, but it can be iffy, especially if he's hearing the sounds of fighting out of his territory. Try rattling against tree limbs as if another buck is marking territory, this might draw him. Use scents like doe estrous in conjunction with your rattles and it might make him think there is a doe he's missing out on and someone else is about to get her.

Overall, think like a big buck. They usually react to several different enticements. Visual, scent, hearing....place a doe decoy out and use estrous scent near the fence line....combos like that. I sure hope you get one of em.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!