Register  | Login
  Search

Buckmasters Forums

I'm kinda sick over this one....
Last Post 25 Sep 2007 12:09 PM by HurricaneJay. 23 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
HurricaneJay
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Sep 2007 12:56 PM  
Okay first off, this is technically my first post here but I've read quite a bit of yalls stuff.  So Im 30 yrs old and after about a 10 year hiatus from deer hunting, I finally got back into it this year to spend more time with my dad, and I missed bow hunting.  Last night was the 3rd night I have gone this season, first night I saw 9 (3 bucks, 1-8 and 2-6's), 2nd night 2 does, and finally last night, 7 does and one 6 point buck (about a 16 inch spread or so).  

Anyways.....to the story (and why Im kinda sick about it) I get in the stand around 5:45pm after my daughter is with my wife, and I get settled in for a good night of relaxing and watching more freakin does.  Well up until about 7:00 pm I had seen nothing but about 100 squirrels, which I debated popping one of them just for target practice (but I decided against it )  About 10 after 7, I hear a loud rustling in behind me, I look, and here FINALLY come 3 does, 2 fawns.  They come right in front of me and chow down on some corn, and I just sit and watch (I have never killed a doe at this point, never intended to unless I needed to)  They ate for about 15 min and finally walked on off up in the woods.  Im thinking thats it for the night, and prepare to get my stuff ready.  All of a sudden, here comes another doe in front of me from a different direction, and right behind her, a 6 point buck.  They walk straight to me, the doe off to the left, the buck to the right, and he gets about 12 yds from me, stands broadside to me, and turns his head away from me.   Perfect right???  I ease up, draw back, and let fly.  Missed him just over his back......so obviously they take off right??  Nope, they both ran about 10 yards, and stopped to my left.  

At this point, I figure if they are that dumb, I should get one more shot at him.  This is where it starts happening.  They walk to my left behind a tree, the buck in the lead, the doe right behind him.  To the left of this tree is a nice clearing about 20 yds away, so I load up again and draw back, waiting on Mr. Buck to step out from behind the tree.  Finally he did and as soon as I could see the vital spot, I let fly again, and HIT!!!!  Off the doe and buck run into the brush, and blood hits the ground.   (Keep in mind, Ive never taken a deer with a bow before either)  I climb down from my stand, retrieve my missed shot, and go over  to where I hit the deer and find blood.  

I planted an arrow there and went to get my cousin to help track it.  Anyways, Ive gone on too long here, we track it for about 150 yds or so, and my cousin spots it and says Right Here!  I walk up and say....Wait....that isnt my deer.....thats a DOE!  This entire time, I thought I had shot the buck (assuming he was walking out first) and I had actually hit the doe......The only thing I can figure is she moved ahead of him when they went behind the tree, and decided to walk out in the clearing first.....anyways, my dad obviously gave me heck after I called him and said Dad, Ive shot a 6-pointer!  Sorry for going on so long about it, but this one kinda literally shocked me when we found her on the ground, and Im sick over taking a doe (obviously ANYONE can take a doe right?)  and sick secondly over missing my first "dream" shot when he stood there saying SHOOT ME! 
HurricaneJay
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Sep 2007 01:00 PM  
Also to add on....almost my favorite part of bow hunting, is tracking the deer after the shot....Thank God in my mind at the time, I still thought it was the 6 pointer, although obviously I would have tracked and found her either way.
Jeremiah Johnson
6 Point
6 Point

--
20 Sep 2007 01:23 PM  
A friend of mine was on a ridge close to end of shooting light and had a BIG buck on one side and a bear on the other. Finally he decided to shoot the buck when he stepped out from behind a tree. Well... he shot a doe just like you did. He was sick about it too but that's hunting. Of course we gave him heck about it.
HurricaneJay
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Sep 2007 01:26 PM  
Glad to know I'm not alone out there then Thing is I KNOW the buck was there, when I shot the first time there was plenty of light to see him and his antlers. 2nd time, I just already had my bow drawn and waited for him to step out, and let loose.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
20 Sep 2007 01:44 PM  
In 97 I shot a really big seven point,but when I pulled the trigger,there was a perfect 10 point just out of my line of sight.He ran by at 50 or 60 yds and all I could do was stare.
I am very proud of my buck,but that 10 would have been nice.
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
cb
8 Point
8 Point

--
20 Sep 2007 02:36 PM  
Taking a doe is not always an easy thing to do either and there is no shame in doing so. It helps to keep the deer herd in balance (buck to doe ratio). The meat is just as tasty. But the problem lies in the fact that you did not identify the taget before the shot. Of that you should be upset with your selfself. If shooting light is gone then the game is over for the day, don't take the shot. I'm not trying to make you feel worse about this but to remind you to identify your target before loosing an arrow or any projectile. Eat the meat and go back out and take the 6 pointer.
I'm happy that you rejoined the ranks of Bowhunters and returned to hunt with your father. Good Luck to both of you this season. Go out and make Dad proud!
HurricaneJay
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Sep 2007 02:40 PM  
Thanks for the words CB. In reality, your point WAS what got me the most, as hunter safety, and ethics, is something Ive always prided myself in when hunting. You hunt and you learn though, Im just on a steeper curve since I lost so many years of hunting that I would like to have back. Anyways, Dad is going with me back out on Saturday morning, so hears hoping to one of us taking the 8 pointer that I saw a few days back.
cb
8 Point
8 Point

--
20 Sep 2007 02:47 PM  
HurricaneJay,
I'm glad you did not misunderstand my post. Go getem!!
HurricaneJay
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Sep 2007 03:56 PM  
Nope, I totally understood it. My only thing was, there really WAS enough shooting light left for me (I absolutely will not shoot if I cant see my pin on the deer), I just moreso jumped the gun on the first one that emerged from behind the trees, and assumed it was going to be the buck. Had it been a little one, I would have def noticed the size difference thank goodness, cause I'd probably just stop hunting if I were to ever accidentally shoot a fawn. Many lessons learned from this one trip, a real good one is DONT MISS THE FREAKIN BUCK ON THE FIRST FLAT OUT GIMME SHOT!
jwarren
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Sep 2007 04:12 PM  
I wouldnt be upset. I try every year to kill a doe and a buck. I would rather kill a doe then a young buck. The old way of thinking use to be kill a mature doe they eat up nutrition that the bucks need to grow good antlers. But about 2 years ago i read a artical that said young does eat twice as much as a mature doe just to help them grow. so i have switched my doe killing to young ones and not old ones. I hunt on about 40 acers small for most and when i frist started bow hunting i didnt practice good deer management. I figured what is the use most people around me kill anything that walks by. But for the last 3 years i have tried taking mature bucks and young does. Last year i seen more shooter bucks then any time in the last 10 years combined. I can understand about the whole not Identifying the shot. But it happens
HurricaneJay
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
20 Sep 2007 05:20 PM  
Thanks for the reply jwarren. I also hunt on a very small piece of land that my mom and dad own, probably a bit bigger than 40 acres, but small in comparison to some nonetheless. I had planned on taking a doe this year definitely, just not last night obviously My mistake was that I assumed the buck was coming out first, already had my bow drawn back (I held it for about a minute I know, seemed like 30 minutes ) and when she walked out, I put my pin on the spot I wanted to hit, and neglected to look back to the head to make sure it was the buck I was wanting. Of course after the hit, I had no chance to tell that it wasn't the buck as they both turned and ran straight off to my left.

Anyways, guys, thanks for the replies, I'm starting to feel a bit better about it, and starting to enjoy my first ever bow kill at the tender age of 30 (Especially now that my dad just called and said he had given the meat to a needy family down the road from us, Im ecstatic that I killed one period, as they have 5 kids to feed and not a lot of income)
WANTABIGBUCK
12 Point
12 Point

--
20 Sep 2007 05:51 PM  
WILL AT LEAST YOU DID GET ONE.I WOULD LIKE TO GET ONE WITH MY BOW THIS YEAR
matt_man215
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Sep 2007 01:18 AM  
well atleast it was legal for you to take a doe or else that could have been tricky
ShedHead
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Sep 2007 03:06 AM  
Theres nothing wrong with taking a doe! the meat is better, and they need to be managed. i'll take a doe any day. now a spike, of four, or young six, im against. the rules at our camp are 8 pt or better, and 1 in. outside the ears. if i see a mature buck, i'll take it, but id shoot the first nice doe that steps out.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
warren
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Sep 2007 06:41 PM  
I have a six pointer near the woods i hunt with atleast a 20 inch inside spread and 12 inch tine length. Trust me he gets in bow range he is going down. I have young 8 pointers all around me every year and every year i pass its fun to watch them. The point of this is to say u cant always judge a deer by his points. In story he wrote i didnt see where he descibed the six pointer. I just dont want everyone to assume that it was a young 6. Cause when i tell u all i shot a six pointer in opening week ( yeah right never happens) it will be the 6 pointer with 20 inch inside spread and 12 inch tine lengths.
HurricaneJay
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
21 Sep 2007 07:03 PM  
Yeah I really didn't give a good description of either of them I guess did I. The doe ended up weighing 110 lbs when we skinned her. The buck was slightly bigger than she was, Im guessing here at about 135 to 140 lbs. He had about a 14-16 inch spread. Yall would probably consider him to be a younger buck Im guessing. Its all a matter of how each person defines it. In my mind though, Ive only ever killed one deer when I was 15, with a 22-250, and it was a 4 pointer, so I don't have the track record most of yall have. I wanted to take my first buck with a bow that night, hence why I was shooting at a younger 6, rather than waiting for a bigger one. Hope that makes sense to yall.
BOWHUNTER missouri
8 Point
8 Point

--
21 Sep 2007 11:39 PM  
well congrates on your first bow kill. either one would of been fine with me. you know your story is the other way oround for me. last year in gun season it was the third day of the last day of the season. I went hunting after ,I got off work ,and Iknow theres deer inthere because that were I bow hunt at. but anyhow , theres some big old does in there right. well it was getting dark but still shooting hours .I was sitting there done a bleat call and about a few min. later here came a deer out , I thought it was adoe and ,I was going to take it so ,i shot it ran back and forth and then it fell. i went alright got that big doe i've seen during bow season so ,I ran to it and to my suprize it was a 6 pointer. when ,I read your post and said u shot a doe and thought you shot the 6pointer it reminded of my hunt but opposit.
GIT-R-DONE
4x4
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Sep 2007 04:48 AM  
There ain't a dadgum thing wrong with kill'n a Doe my friend 
Heck I would be willing to bet that she was probably older and much wiser than that 6pointer that you were trying for anyway
You know IMO any Deer shot with a Bow is a Trophy so be proud !! 
Congrats on your first ,of what I am sure will be many more to come !!
robert.clark17
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
22 Sep 2007 04:36 PM  
good job at taking a deer. we all make mistakes but you did alright. you had everything in order as to what you where diong to make the shot. you concentrated on making that arrow go where you where expecting it to go. don't worry about it. enjoy the meat and enjoy the time we get to go to the woods.

rob
jkoehler
Forum Moderator
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
22 Sep 2007 05:24 PM  
Well thats ok youcan not eat the horns yes it would have been nice to get the Buck but then he is still out there just get him next time Very good story.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.'
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.2
Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! Join Buckmasters Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!