Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
Got another! Very weird .... 2009 SC bow buck
Last Post 13 Jul 2010 03:30 PM by rescue1224. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
27 Dec 2009 05:51 PM  

SCORE !!

Whew....For a while there I thought that I wasn't going to get a bow kill this year. Ok...he's not massive by no means, but he is a cull buck for obvious defects. Yep, you see correctly! He is still in velvet. My first velvet buck ever!

I knew there was definately something wrong with him when I first saw him and decided to take him out. And it's getting to be really slim pickins this time of year as the pressure has really been on the deer.

At first, I believed he had no testicles and that was what was causing his antlers not to harden or shed. But the processor I took him too said he had seen this only once before, and it was because the testes never dropped. That was indeed the case with this guy. So he probably never would have been able to breed, but he also would have a tough life getting whooped by other bucks because of the soft antlers. This is evidenced already as there was fresh blood and a fresh break on his left main beam.

So, normally I wouldn't take a buck this small. But it's late in the season and I felt he was bad for the gene pool. Oh well.

And yes, my son is wearing short sleeves in December! We have crazy weather here.  26 degrees at night and in the 70's during the day. I love it though !!

And the testicular issue...

Poor guy,  just an empty sac.

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
27 Dec 2009 06:53 PM  
Very nice !
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Rocky Bluff Ranch
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 Jan 2010 11:37 PM  
Nice job Is that deer still in velvet???
Ron
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
04 Jan 2010 08:11 PM  

Where, in South Carolina, did you get him?  I live in the lowcountry, and I've seen this type of thing before.

NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, Second Amendment Foundation, DU, QDMA, ASA, OYOA, Everyday Hunter, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
07 Jan 2010 01:05 AM  
Posted By Rocky Bluff Ranch on 01/03/2010 5:37 PM
Nice job Is that deer still in velvet???

Yep. Antlers still in velvet in December. We believe that his testicles never decesnded, but we also only found what resembled to be very small testes inside when we field dressed him. He might have been sterile altogether.

mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
07 Jan 2010 01:07 AM  
Posted By Geecheeboy on 01/04/2010 2:11 PM

Where, in South Carolina, did you get him?  I live in the lowcountry, and I've seen this type of thing before.

I took him in northern Anderson county here in the upstate. Processor said that he had only seen this once before in 10 years of processing deer. Who knows how this buck may have turned out later down the road.

bill
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Jan 2010 11:38 AM  
pretty neat kill! i have not seen one in velvet that late either but the testicles would explain it. did you have any luck rifle season?
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
07 Jan 2010 04:03 PM  
Posted By gaeleninwoods on 01/07/2010 5:38 AM
pretty neat kill! i have not seen one in velvet that late either but the testicles would explain it. did you have any luck rifle season?

Now there is a name I haven't seen in a while...............how have ya been ?

Tubby
bill
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
07 Jan 2010 05:11 PM  
doing fine tubby. how is your season going? i've been visiting the site but it's slow. it's sad that with so many registered there is so little activity. how is your arm healing? wish you luck. mcraddock, i bet your son hasn't had only a tee shirt on outside lately.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
08 Jan 2010 03:25 AM  
Pretty good....got two does,a 5 point and a 6 point.The one I am most proud of is the 8 point my 14 yr old got.
Tubby
mcraddock
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
12 Jan 2010 03:38 AM  

Yea, I got nice heavy 8 point back in early October.  130'ish. I posted him in the bragging board as well. Good to see you're stil around old buddy.

As for my son wearing short sleeves in this sub-artic front ?? Well. let's just say that kids are stubborn. I'm known as 'the jacket police' to them. I'm always saying to the boys  "You're not going outside without a jacket on, are you? " . Their mom has to remind me that they are old enough to know when they are cold. I'm just not so sure that they are smart enough to prevent being cold! LOL. Kids.....

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
13 Jan 2010 01:44 AM  
Posted By mcraddock on 01/11/2010 9:38 PM

Yea, I got nice heavy 8 point back in early October.  130'ish. I posted him in the bragging board as well. Good to see you're stil around old buddy.

As for my son wearing short sleeves in this sub-artic front ?? Well. let's just say that kids are stubborn. I'm known as 'the jacket police' to them. I'm always saying to the boys  "You're not going outside without a jacket on, are you? " . Their mom has to remind me that they are old enough to know when they are cold. I'm just not so sure that they are smart enough to prevent being cold! LOL. Kids.....

OK , so I'm not the only one getting that  ! LOL

Tubby
slawman
8 Point
8 Point

--
23 Jan 2010 01:48 PM  
it's a hermaphrodite...it posesses both male and female geitalia (notice the nipples) the lack of hormones is why it never got the urge to rub the velvet off..we got one off the farm we hunt several years ago. very rare .
mark14
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
24 Feb 2010 11:40 PM  
that is a nice buck
WANTABIGBUCK
12 Point
12 Point

--
07 Jun 2010 05:24 PM  
COOL BUCK
rescue1224
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
13 Jul 2010 03:30 PM  
They still make the slinky? wow and nice buck by the way
PETA (People eating tasty animals)
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!