Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
2009 PA Buck of a Lifetime
Last Post 03 Jan 2010 11:44 PM by Rocky Bluff Ranch. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
eemer
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Dec 2009 12:42 AM  

Here's the story - unimpressive, but True!

It was raining, 42° and generally miserable. I got into my ladder stand around 6:45 AM which overlooked the side hill of a saddle where the deer always cross from the oaks on one side to the thick brush on the other side. Over the years, family members and I have taken over 20 deer in this general area which we call "above the camper below the Old Cherry Tree" (the Old Cherry Tree is about 7 or 8 Feet in Diameter - you can't miss it!). At about 8:45 AM I was getting quite cold and wet and miserable, so I decided to climb down from my stand and walk up the 4-wheeler path up towards the "Old Cherry Tree". I had just gone around some grapevines and raspberry thickets and saw 2 does milling around under an oak tree that borders a brush thicket that runs up the hill about 40 or so yards. I scoped them out to see if the little one might be a button buck - I didn't have a doe tag this year, so they were safe. A few seconds later the 11-point came busting out of the brush and ran up the hill skirting the brush, I found his chest and fired, he didn't act like he was hit and crossed the 4-wheeler path and turned around looking back where he came from and was broadside and uphill from me - I found his chest and fired again - he vanished from my scope. I still hadn't gotten a good look at the horns, but I knew he met the 4-point on one side restriction. I thought for sure that I had missed him, but being a good sportsman, I always follow my shots and went up the hill to look for him. After looking around for about 10 minutes, I saw an antler sticking up over a log on the ground and there he was! Then I saw the rack and started high-fiving myself (since I was alone in the woods!). Then the work began and I was no longer cold. I had to drag him the 200 yards down hill to the camper and load him into the truck by myself, but I didn't care the adreneline was still pumping like mad and the deer only weighed about 120 lb or so. To say the least, I was the talk of the holler this past week for killing the "Double Drop-Tine Buck" that they all had on their trail cams.
I green scored him using the on-line form on the B&C website and it calculated it at 149 4/8. He is at the taxidermists already and should be ready to pick up next June.

Here's the Pictures:

Here's one I shot on Thursday (with my camera!) on a neighbor's farm.

BIG RED
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
17 Dec 2009 12:57 PM  
come on,fess up.you took this one down in texas.just kidding .haven't seen a deer like that from pa. in along time.really nice trophy.congrats.
life member nahc,nafc,amvets.
tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
17 Dec 2009 06:23 PM  
Very nice......
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
Fossilman
6 Point
6 Point

--
17 Dec 2009 07:30 PM  
Really nice........................Congrads!
God,family and friends,nothing better!!
buck29
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
18 Dec 2009 01:21 AM  
Congrats on the buck
kmehaffey
6 Point
6 Point

--
21 Dec 2009 09:32 PM  
Beautiful Buck,congadulations !!!!
WANTABIGBUCK
12 Point
12 Point

--
24 Dec 2009 04:24 PM  
BEAUTIFUL BUCK
Rocky Bluff Ranch
6 Point
6 Point

--
03 Jan 2010 11:44 PM  
Wow gotta love them drop tines
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!