Register  | Login
  Search
Buckmasters Forums
What have I gotten into...
Last Post 15 Jan 2009 02:12 PM by rebel deer hunter. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
John in West TN
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
12 Jan 2009 09:19 PM  
OK... Got my wife into deer hunting this year. Didn't push her into it, just talked about it until she got curious enough, and she decided she wanted to do it herself -- about halfway into the season, but still plenty of time for this year.

OK... need a rifle. Took her to the local Sporting Goods store. After looking at several, she decided she wanted the Browning A-Bolt, in .30-06, with Nikon scope (Ouch...$$$$). OK, Honey, whatever you want (hey... if she decides she doesn't like it, I get a nice new rifle out of the deal). Of course, she then had to spend another bunch of bucks on appropriate hunting CLOTHING... 

Went to the range, got the rifle zeroed in, and she fired it a few extra times (enough to prove to herself she really COULD hit that little bullseye at 100yds). Then we were ready to go. 

Went out to a small piece of property we own -- not exactly a deer ranch, but plenty of whitetails (if you can find 'em), and it was familiar territory for her. Set up a little pop-up ground blind in a likely spot. Sat there for three hours without sign of a deer, and at that point, I needed a nature break. Told her to keep watching, slipped out the blind and went a ways uphill and out of sight. Was just about to start back when... BLAM!!!! (unmistakeable sound of .30-06 shot -- followed a few seconds later by a crash in the brush). I eased back to the blind as fast as I could go without making a lot of noise, and asked her "Did you see one?"

"See one?" she asked. "I GOT one!"

Sure enough, she had nailed a really nice six-pointer about 50 yards out with a perfect shot. He'd gotten about 10 yards into the brush, crashed, and slid another 10 yards downhill into some really nasty stuff. We had a hard time dragging him back up the hill, but it was worth it, just for the smile on her face as I took a picture (I'd post it here, but it's not on a web URL and I don't see any way to upload pix on the forum).

OK... just a fluke, maybe. Next day, I took her out on a hunt with a friend on some farmland (cut-over soybean fields), left her by herself in a blind while I went and hunted a nearby woods. Just before sunset, she calls my on the GRS radio and asks if it is time to quit yet. I tell her I am headed back to her blind, but to keep watching the woods. About 30 seconds later... BLAM! 

I get back there to find she had dropped a doe in its tracks... at 140 yards!!!! (Yes, we had the appropriate doe tags). 

Needless to say, she was hooked. We hunted several more times until the season closed (yesterday), and didn't see anything to shoot at; but she's already making plans for next season (including a better blind and maybe some food plots for that property of ours)... and next time, she wants to try MUZZLELOADER as well...

tubby
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
13 Jan 2009 12:47 AM  
awesome story and welcome to BT
Tubby
The God of My Rock;He Is My Sheild;And The Horn Of My Salvation 2 Samuuel,Ch 22
cfiloteo3
6 Point
6 Point

--
14 Jan 2009 07:56 AM  
Congrats!! The more hunters the better.
Crystal City,
Zavala County,
Deep South Texas
Ron
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
14 Jan 2009 08:01 AM  
great story....now you won't have to argue over hunting time.
leave a message after the beep... me and the boy is hunting
Kendall
Button Buck
Button Buck

--
15 Jan 2009 01:50 AM  
What an Ideal situation 2 hunters same house = more great tasting deer meat. Congrats!
Rocky Bluff Ranch
6 Point
6 Point

--
15 Jan 2009 02:08 AM  
John
This is a great story. thanks for sharing with us!!
rebel deer hunter
Buckmaster
Buckmaster

--
15 Jan 2009 02:12 PM  
congrats, you can go to www.photobucket.com and upload your photos there then copy and past the link to here
SOUTHERN PRIDE
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.2
Pay Your Bill Online Google+ Buckmasters on Pinterest Follow Us On Instagram! LinkedIn Buckmasters on YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Buckmasters on Facebook!